Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive-line problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ehardingn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehardingn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive-line problems
    Posted: March-25-2010 at 7:01pm
I have a 92 Ski Nautique, I replaced the transmission last year and runs great when it's cold, but when it warms up it's hard to get in gear, when you push the control forward it feels like it's in neutral and than goes into gear but wants to rev-up first. Can anyone help? Someone said it may be a cracked housing but when I pulled the trans off everything looks fine in there.
Thank You for listening to me and your help.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 7:18pm
It sounds like you need to adjust your control cables.
ehardingn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehardingn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 8:09pm
That's what I thought and have tried it but it didn't help, is it possible that it may have something to do with the clutch or clutch plate? The reason why I feel it could be something else, it only dose this when it worms up never when it's cold.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 12:32pm
cracked forward drum, PCM Trans? they crack at the base and are often overlooked
"the things you own will start to own you"
ehardingn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehardingn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 5:57pm
Where would I find that forward drum? Is it in the transmission or part of the clutch assembly?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 10:16pm
why did you replace the trans? with new? more history and yes, the forward aluminum drum inside the trans cracks typically and slips the clutches, the crack will open more under pressure so its quite often overlooked
ehardingn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehardingn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 6:37pm
Hi Eric the reason why I had the transmission rebuilt is because when I lent the boat to a friend of mine he came into the dock to fast, panicked and hit the reverse hard and broke the reverse gear, after the transmission was rebuilt I put it back into the boat and have had this problem, tried linkage adjustment but did not help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2010 at 12:10pm
its very possible that the forward drum cracked too, very common, and was overlooked by the experienced rebuilder. i would say dig up some paperwork and take it back to the rebuilder and have him take a closer look at the drum. did your friend come up shooting with some ponies?
btw, sorry it took so long to post, its at the bottem of the forum and i rarely go there. maybe move to a new topic to one of the other threads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic