NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in the engine...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MBO090 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBO090 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in the engine...
    Posted: May-20-2010 at 5:30pm
Hello.
My Ski Nautique 1998 with a Ford 5,8 liter engine has a small leak - aboute 3 mm - in one of the cylinders aboute 40 mm down from the top. It is in the middle between two cylinders and my question is if i can use chemical metal to repaire the engine...?

It can not be corrosion when the engine only has been used in a lake without salt water.

Thanks!

Livet går i direktsändning!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 5:40pm
it's from the block freezing and cracking because it wasn't winterized properly, time for a new block.
MBO090 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBO090 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 5:59pm
Well it was my first guess to but I winterised it as it should be done -drained the engine by the 5 plugs and so on...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 6:15pm
what did you use for anti-freeze?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 6:36pm
That sounds like an odd place to break if it was drained, but my first thought was also freezing. Mine was cracked in a similar place when I bought it, though I know it was from freezing.

I wonder if not from freezing, then what might it be?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 6:53pm
uuh Mattias sorry to hear that..
Easy to get blocks in the states but for us foreingners its quite difficult to do so...
repairs can be done but I don´t know if they are cost effective..you could get lucky and the repair will last, or not and it will fail after some hours, and you will have the double cost of tearing the engine appart twice...
Repairs ..Down here in those cases we take the cracked block or heads to a guy that specialized in cast iron welding...but results are a chance....
After the weld I think i´d bore the cylinders and add sleeves...but this work is not cheap.

If your internals are ok, you could get away buying a bare block for @$600 and heve it shipped to sweden..shipping and taxes will add some more $...but I´d rather pay little more and be able to use the boat in that little summer you get...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SSIDSKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSIDSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 1:54am
Hi is this leak in the head? All ford head are subject to crack exturnally by the headbolts and just below the spark plugs. this is a casting problem they all have it's could be from overheating or from freezing. i have seen many in my life and have spoke with a ford engineer many years ago and he said that it's from a thin spot in the casting. I have had them welded up and had to replace the head some time. you can check ebay for the GT40 heads or let me know if thats what you need. I have some GT 40 heads.
Hope this helps Don
SSIDSKI-FLORIDA
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by SSIDSKI SSIDSKI wrote:

Hi is this leak in the head? All ford head are subject to crack exturnally by the headbolts and just below the spark plugs. this is a casting problem they all have it's could be from overheating or from freezing. i have seen many in my life and have spoke with a ford engineer many years ago and he said that it's from a thin spot in the casting. I have had them welded up and had to replace the head some time. you can check ebay for the GT40 heads or let me know if thats what you need. I have some GT 40 heads.
Hope this helps Don

it's in the cylinder, read the post before you start rambling on.
MBO090 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBO090 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 6:24pm
Hello and thanks for all answers.
Well, this is the situation: the engine is beyond repair because of corossion.

Today I found a completely blue printed 351W at a company in the town vere I live (!) and the price is about 2.000 dollar exkl. the heads. The only thing is that my boat has a 351 block and 302 heads and the pistons in the new engine is for a 351 head. I can buy new pistons and rings for about 300 dollar but I have a question: the 302 heads has valves that requiers that the pistons are concave in the middle. The concave in the old pistons is about 5 mm and the after market pistons are about 3,5 mm - is this a problem? How close re the valves the pistons?

Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic