Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's the name of this engine part??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
subli572 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subli572 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the name of this engine part??
    Posted: June-14-2010 at 1:35pm
Hi, I need to know what's the name of this engine part, it's from a Ski Nautique '93, Ford 351 5.8 Lt. Pro Boss.

Thanks,

Diego.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 7:13pm
Thats parts of the protec ingtion system..its in the place of ther distributor, I don´t kno exactly the name of it, but its controlled by the black box in the back of the engine from where the spark plug cables are connected..
Check reference section of this site you will find manual of that year engine and will explain it.
Are you having problems? no spark?
There are no replacement parts for this ingnition system. Solution is to retrofit the engine to a regular style distributor with external coil.
theres a kit ready to do this convertion...they run about $400-500...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
subli572 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subli572 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 7:38pm
Thank's kapla, yes, I'm having problems, when the boat is going at hi speed, like 20 mph and up, the engine starts to fail, and sometimes it makes a dry explosion, the mechanic told me that I have to change that part, I think it's called interrupter.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 8:00pm
Diego
your explanation could also be related to fuel carb problem..I´d say a lean condition..check you spark plugs..a white electrode will tell lean...Also check your fuel pump, it should flow at 6-7 PSI...Fuel filter, and lines for debris clogging...
Im throwing some ideas to rule out before spending some $ to replace parts that sometimes are not the culprit...
No replacement for the protec ignition..you need to replace the whole ingnition system...search on the site there´s lot of info about this subject...
I´m not a mechanic but I went through similar situations with my boat over the 10 years I owne it..when the engine would stumble or backfire (even blew the muffler twice) it was fuel delivery related, carb flooding, pump diaphram falling into piece and clogging everything on its way..etc..I could never say the protec got me stranded..Anyway it is know to fail and thats why PCM quit using it and put a retrofit kit to replace it....
I still have it on my boat and its the next upgrade I will do to the engine...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 11:04am
I doubt the Interruptor (trigger) is the problem, if it's bad your ignition system doesn't work at all. I would also be checking the oil pressure switch and the temperature switch as well, not the sending units for the guages, the switchs that are tied into the the ignition system causing the module to shut down at higher RPM's
subli572 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subli572 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 2:06pm
I already checked all the fuel and carb system, and everything is ok, it seems like the problem comes from the electric part of the system, I'll try to get the interrupter, in Skidim they have something called trigger wheel assembly for $55.95, do you thing it is the same part??
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by subli572 subli572 wrote:

I already checked all the fuel and carb system, and everything is ok, it seems like the problem comes from the electric part of the system, I'll try to get the interrupter, in Skidim they have something called trigger wheel assembly for $55.95, do you thing it is the same part??

YOU DON'T LISTEN VERY WELL, enjoy chasing your tail, might as well get the conversion kit if your just going to be guess what's wrong.

The Engine is in limp mode because you have a bad oil or temp switch killing the ignition.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic