Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans out put is hard to turn in neutral

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans out put is hard to turn in neutral
    Posted: June-22-2010 at 10:17am
In neutral engine off the output flange is very hard to turn

Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

I've got a sneaky feeling that my prop chopped trailer bunks are due to a shifting issue or warped clutch plates in my 1:1 velvet drive. In neutral engine off the out put flange is very hard to turn.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Without the prop shaft connected? If connected, how's the strut/shaft/log/engine alignment?

With prop shaft disconnected trans out put is hard to turn by hand

Finishing up log strut rudder reseal & alignment this week.

Moved to a seprate post because I didn't want to muddy up rm025's post
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 10:20am
Does turn easier one way then the other but I could not imagine installing my shaft and prop and turning with 1 finger ~ but prop might giv me a tad more leverage.

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 9:41am
Went to visit a friend who is a marine mechanic looking for my odd sized rudder port packing (larger then 1/4"). Asked about any Velvet Drive 1:1 take out transmissions (Thinking rebuildable core). He gave me a good deal on a working Velvet Drive 1:1 trans that he personally removed from a boat that was abandoned / parted out. We checked the transmissoin over as well as you can on the bench (Feel input / output turn smooth / shift smooth / very clean looking oil and oil fill ~ no signs of moisture or water intrusion).

In Neutral the output spins free as I would expect. Much free-er then mine. Looks like I might be doing a trans swap sooner then I expect and making mine the rebuildable core.
Michael ....    

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 9:56am
did it turn in neutral when the boat was running?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

did it turn in neutral when the boat was running?

Prop did turn in neutral and it seemed closer to an engaugement then just slow free wheeling.

yes when I first got the engine unstuck and ran it with the cracked block last july ....

I should have done the trans over the winter for insurance of a good summer ~ Just hated spend 1/2 the cost of the boat when the bad motor was not changed out and running.

My thinking was motor 1st / trans 2nd.

Now that I have 45 min drive way time tuning on the good motor (Shaft disconnected) I'm kicking my own hind parts for not being pro-active on the questionable trans.   

I'll water test it this weekend and probally swap the trans next week if it is as bad as I think.     

Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 3:09am
Performed well in the water today, no neutral drag no shifting issues, not sure what the difference was. I guess that big ole prop in the water gave a little more resistance then I imagined.
Michael ....    

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic