Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 exhaust sound has changed?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 exhaust sound has changed?
    Posted: July-12-2010 at 8:16pm
I have a 1988 2001 with a 351 ford with 1500 hrs that I have had since new. The other day we were out doing some slalom skiing when we noticed the exhaust sounding louder, dry sound, also noticed a sound like a stuck lifter coming from under the dog house? All engine vitals look good. Engine runs strong and I have not noticed any performance changes.

Checked compression and all cylinders are within +/- 10% around 130 PSI. I can’t tell if the ticking is a lifter or exhaust related. I do not smell any exhaust in the bilge area?

Like I said before, I have had this boat since new and I know what it should sound like. Something is wrong and I want to correct it, just don’t know the best place to start. If needed I will replace the manifolds and baffles, just don’t want to waste my money. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 1:04am
We were out skiing tonite and I believe that I might be a little low on power out of the hole? Did not notice any problems at slalom speed (34) just louder exhaust.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 1:17am
Did you check both exhaust outlets for water flow, while under way? Also remove the dog house and rear section of floor to inspect the exhaust hoses for hard spots or holes. Also check to see if your riser gaskets are leaking, there is also a possibility that the riser gasket has fallen apart and pluged the water passage in the riser. Resulting in restricted water flow and a louder exhaust note.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 1:31am
87BFN, I have good flow out of the exhaust ports on both sides, no leaks in the risers. Replaced a riser gasket several years ago. Manifolds and risers are not running hot. Do you think I should pull the risers off and inspect?

The ticking sound has me worried, kinda sounds like a leak puffing out but I have been all over the engine and cannot touch,feel or hear where it is coming from. Might be internal, I don't know.

Maybe the louder sound and the ticking is not related, they just seemed to show up at the same time.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 1:38am
If you are getting good water flow out of both ports and the manifolds and risers are not hot, I would not pull them at this time. Have you physically checked the condition of the exhaust hoses yet.

As for the tick, use a long screwdriver trick to see if you can isolate the general area the tick is coming from.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 10:54am
I will check the hoses after work today.

The tick is from the starboard front side of the engine. That is just by ear.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

The ticking sound has me worried, kinda sounds like a leak puffing out but I have been all over the engine and cannot touch,feel or hear where it is coming from. Might be internal, I don't know.

Maybe the louder sound and the ticking is not related, they just seemed to show up at the same time.

Could be exhaust manifold gasket they can sound like a ticking noise but not as a metallic sound. Have a good look around both sides you may see a bit of carbon deposit or feel the exhaust gases blowing past the failed gasket.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 2:06pm
lewy2001, thanks for the tip. I had searched the forums and found this same topic brought up before about the leaking gasket. It does sound more like a leak and not so metalic ticking. I have looked over the exhaust manifolds and can not find where they could be leaking. I ran my fingers all around the ports while the engine was running but could not feel anything. This has got be bummed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:22am
Spent this evening pulling the manifolds and the risers off. Surprisingly the manifold bolts came out easy. In fact some of the starboard side bolts were loose.

I found the starboard side manifold gasket deteriorated around the second port from the front (where the ticking noise was from). The port side riser had some gunk in part of the ports and I cleaned that out.

Cleaned up the manifolds and risers and installed new gaskets. Dropped boat back in the water and the ticking sound is gone !!!!! And the exhaust is somewhat quieter, actually sounds good.

All in all fairly quick and easy fix, even had a chance to get a few slalom rides in before dark. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:37pm
after it goes through a couple heat cycles retorque the bolts, the heat will effect them over time and usually one or two are loose after a few cycles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 5:24pm
Thanks 79, I was amazed how easy the bolts came out. I was expecting to have problems when trying to work with anything that deals with "exhaust". I will make a note to keep an eye one them.
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 10:29pm
Hi guys this is the exact same thing that was happening to my 95SN the last few days. I had been really worried.   Do you know the part name and or part number for the gaskets?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic