Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 steering ?'s

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 steering ?'s
    Posted: August-04-2010 at 1:19am
Going to order a new cable after I verify it's the problem. Is whitelake with the 10 percent discount as cheap as I'll find the correct 17.5 foot cable? Second, my wheel has a little rattle in it. Parallel to the shaft, almost like a washer is missing. If I pull the wheel towards me, it clunks. Then I can push it in about an 1/8" or so. When I'm cruising with my hand of the wheel it rattles and bugs the bejesus out of me. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
87' 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 10:45am
Yes, thats the cheapest you'll find the cable.

There is a nut behind your steering wheel center cap, as well as behind the helm. Tighten both and it will take up the play... the trick is getting them tightened enough not to rattle, but not so much as to tighten your steering feel.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 2:52pm
On my 73 there are 2 nuts on the back of the shaft under the dash and dialing them in was the key for removing the play. The second nut keeps the first one from backing out when you hit the sweet spot where there is no play and little resistance.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 4:40pm
Does anyone know what size packing is in the rudder shaft? I disconnected my cable and the shaft is still tight. Figure I'd pull the bearing and clean it. Might as well repack too. Is it 3 rings @ 3/16?
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 9:48pm
I also have some slop vertically in the shaft. Is this adjustable? I'll take some pictures after dinner. I really think boyscouts rebuilt this thing. Seems like stuff just isn't right anywhere I look. Maybe my pictures later will help me explain.
87' 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 11:06am
Some vertical slop (~1/8") is normal. There is no way for anyone here to tell what size packing was in your driveshaft from behind their keyboard... you may actually have to take it apart and measure. Correct Craft was not all that consistent. My guess would be 3/16" but it could very easily be 1/4". I would buy a couple packages of both, just in case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic