NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this sound?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this sound?
    Posted: September-20-2010 at 6:39pm
I have had this ticking sound since the end of last season. I wanted to have someone listen to it while I was at GL but never got around to it. You can't really hear it too much with the doghouse down and underway. Here is a video of it while running on the hose in the driveway. Can anyone tell me what it is? I am thinking it may be an exhaust leak from the front cylinder, since it stared shortly after having the manifolds replaced. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the front cylinder on the port side. I want to fix it over the winter but not sure where to start. Turn up the sound and click on the pic.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 6:47pm
Whats the hose off of the cooling line to the manifold?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim, that is the line to the OJ dripless seal. there is a bit of air in there since it is running off of the hose, no air when it is in the water.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim, that is the line to the OJ dripless seal. there is a bit of air in there since it is running off of the hose, no air when it is in the water.

Thats an odd place to pull from. Mine is hooked to the bottom of the "J".

Tim

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 7:35pm
Sounds a bit like my Ski Tique tick

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 7:52pm
Sure sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Reach up and feel around the runners (dont touch- hot!!) and see if you can feel the leak.

If you increase the revs, Im betting it becomes nearly inaudible?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 8:00pm
Resnug your manifolds it sounds exhaust to me too. When the engine is warm does it go away too?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 8:29pm
I have tried to tighten the bolts on the manifolds but I have them as snug as I feel comfortable tightening them. I don't want to break off the bolts.

Now, they were a bit loose on this side when I got them back from the guy who installed the manifolds, I tightened them down but the sound is still there... I'm thinking because it had already heated up that I may need to replace the manifold gasket now???

yes, the sound does go away somewhat as you increase the RPM's.

Looking at it yesterday, I could see some black on my spark plug wires right in front of that manifold, this made me believe that it may be exhaust coming out there, but I have put my hand around there right after starting before too hot and I couldn't feel any air.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 11:23pm
Randy how you going? Would have loved to meet your family at GL this year. That black carbon residue is a sure sign of a exhaust leak. You should be able to feel the hot exhaust gases though on a cold start up.

When you remove the manifold you should be able to see clearer where it is leaking by the carbon trail from the leaking gases.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 12:46am
Hi Lewy!

We would have loved to seen you up there! The kids kept asking if you were going to be there. They had a great time, can't wait to go next year.
I will have to try to give you a call soon, I'm never sure when to catch you over there, weekends are probably best.?

I think if this is an exhaust leak, it must be small because I have tried to feel for air coming out by that front port but can't feel anything. Maybe I need to look at the next one down. I'm relieved that nobody thinks it is anything internal.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 1:01am
Once it starts leaking it usually destroys the gasket, so tightening down may not be effective. It's amazing how tiny a leak can be yet still be audible as a metallic sounding "tick".
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 1:24am
So if you do find a leak after new gaskets what's the next step? Since he's got new manifolds would it be the head that needs to be machined?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 10:22am
Tim, I read the directions and thats where the hose is recommended to be placed
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 10:50am
Randy - You may have to resurface the manifold faces.    I just used a big file on mine to get them cleaned up (they were pitted) - kept the file as flat as possible across several ports at a given time.    Seems to have worked.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 2:15pm
So, should I start by just pulling the manifold and cleaning up the surfaces then reinstall with a new gasket? What should the manifold bolts be torqued to? Any pattern I should follow when tightening them down? I'm thinking of doing this before winter layup so that I can run it and see if I fixed it before I put her away for the winter.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:11am
Randy - Yes, you are on the right track.      Torque to 18-24 ft lbs.   Just measure a couple to get a feel for that torque & you will be fine.      No pattern needed on the torque sequence.      It is a good idea to retorque after a couple of heat cycles though.      I use anti-sieze on the screws too, a little goes a long ways.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 2:28am
I finally had time to replace the gasket, and as you can see in the pics I'm pretty sure that was where the ticking was coming from. I have a question though. I noticed when I ordered that on the skiDIM site they said that the gasket should be installed with felt towards the manifold. This side I replaced tonight which was obviously leaking was installed with the felt toward the manifold but the starboard side which is not leaking as far as I can tell, is installed with the metal toward the manifold. I considered taking it apart and replacing the gasket since I ordered two of them anyway, but I figured I would leave it alone since it doesn't seem to be a problem. what do you think, should I do the other side too?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2010 at 2:10am
That was it. I took her for the last run of the year today and she purred like a kitten! bummer is I found out I have water leaking from the muffler, and I noticed some vibration so I need to check the alignment because the prop looks fine. I guess I have all winter to get it done.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2010 at 3:50am
Cool you got it fixed. It's funny, that sound sounded exactly like a Caprice we used to have with a 305. It had the same type of leak as that. It got worse and worse though till we got it fixed. On that car though, it would actually get louder under load (accelerating). I think it cost the motor some torque till we got it fixed too.

Sorry on the muffler. I know those aren't cheap although I've seen some threads were people have repaired them or just replaced them with some type of Y pipe. I'm guessing that would make it a lot louder though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic