NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weighting Question - Surfing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weighting Question - Surfing
    Posted: October-29-2010 at 6:55pm
We've been experimenting with surfing a little this year using a friend's board and either people weight to list the boat or borrowed bags. We may try to go out again in a couple weeks and I wanted to try something. Here is the current set up for weight (typically for wakeboarding)

400# bag in ski locker in back
400# bag under rear seat
350# bag down in front bilge belly (basically right under the cooler)
250# bag on the floor between engine cover and cooler

Note: These all only fill to approximately 90% full.

A friend has 3 350# bags that we may try using next time out.

My thought is 2 of them in back next to the engine and one up in the bow all on the surf side. Thoughts?

This would definitely be a LOT of weight. We tried two of the bags before like I described and moved the 250# to the bow seating area on the surf side and the wave seemed pretty good. Just thought it might be interesting to experiment with just a bit more weight.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 7:06pm
I'm not a wakeboarding/surfing weighting expert, but dang, 2200lbs is a lot of weight! I've only surfed once, and it had 800lbs in the back surf-side corner, plus 4-5 people in the boat. Worked alright I suppose, I was able to ride it. It was behind a 21' Tige v-drive.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 7:22pm
i put 2 x 600 bags (1 over the other 1) on the surf side and 1 x 600 pn the back between doghouse and rear seat...Is not a huge wake but works fine for pulling me...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 8:09pm
If I recall you have a direct drive, open bow. Of the Sacs you have been using for wakeboarding, I woul only fill the 400 lb sac in the locker.
I would put one of your friends 350s in the bow on the side you want to surf, I would put one of your friends bags beside the engine, and put one either on top of your existing locker sac, or on that side and toward the back seat.

It's all about getting the boat on its side. I get a pretty good wake surf wake with 350 Bow, 400 on the side I'm surfing, 350 in the locker on top of the stock 300 in the locker.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 8:21pm
Yeah, open bow direct drive.

So you're saying not to have any of my other "standard" bags filled, just the one in the rear ski locker, then place his bags like you're saying? I wouldn't be able to stack the locker, but I can place one bag up over the rear seat some.

Maybe we'll go out a little early that day and play around with different configurations and take some pics.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 8:52pm
The rear locker was the only one I saw in your standard setup that gets the boat on its side. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 1:21pm
Actually, the rear locker and the rear seat both are all the way across the back of the boat.

I'm going to try two things and see what works better.

1. Have all the normal wakeboarding bags full (Ski Locker, Rear Seat, Bilge Belly up front and Bag on Floor above bilge belly). Then fill all three of my friends bags. Two bags will go next to the engine and the third will go up in the bow. That puts 1050# all on the surf side, 600# up front in the center and about 700# in the rear across the whole width.

2. Drain the Ski Locker and Rear Seat bags, but leave everything else the same as above. I might even try putting all three bags next to the engine if it seems like I have too much front weight.

I'm interested to see how it goes. Here's a couple pictures with option 1 and two of the bags next to the engine.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:22pm
Here's some pictures from this weekend...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:59pm
Looks like you improved the height and mass of the wake quite a bit. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 11:54pm
Maybe you will have to change your moniker to 'Okie Tsunami'!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 11:18am
Brian,

Thanks. If you look at the pictures there are four with just the two bags added next to the engine and four with the additional bag in the bow...all surf side. I definitely think the extra box weight helped.

Chris,

No kidding huh? Some of those pictures were taken with the camera resting on the sun deck (ski locker lid) and once you get going, that perspective is almost down to water level so it makes the wave look huge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 12:06pm
What type of board are you using? BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 3:37pm
LF Fish 5'-3"
CWB Ride 5'-4"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic