Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

96' Ski Nautique Prop Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 96' Ski Nautique Prop Suggestions
    Posted: November-22-2010 at 8:33pm
Hey fellas,

Its Mark, I asked the question earlier this month on rpm adjustment for my 96 ski nautique(42mph @4200) After figuring out what all my specs were, it was suggested to maybe check into a new cnc prop, since the original is still on it. My boat has the LH 351 with 1:1.23 tranny, and found I have an OJ Legend 14x16. On the side of the prop after "legend" were the numbers 9   95. I dont know if that is relevant. After looking at ACME web site, it looks pretty confusing to choose the right one.   I will try to contact them for assistance, but would appreciate suggestions from everyone on this. Thanks
levin
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 11:28pm
Welcome aboard Mark! I cant tell you much about props but I am pretty sure the 9 95 is the date the prop was made. September 1995
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 12:24am
Mark - For your boat I would recommend either the Acme 1442 if you mainly slalom, or the 470 if you like to wakeboard with heavy ballast.

If you call Delta prop, they will give you honest advice, worth much more than mine!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 12:49am
thanks for the advice, i mainly slalom, and barefoot for the fun of it. What kind of performance difference of the 1442 could i expect compared to the 14x16 I have? Only reason i was looking for a little more top end was for footing. I definitely dont want to give up the holeshot and the consistency of the pull when slaloming. I also heard/read that upgrading to a cnc prop will cut back on vibration and may cause a better ride? Thanks again for the help.
levin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 11:40am
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

thanks for the advice, i mainly slalom, and barefoot for the fun of it. What kind of performance difference of the 1442 could i expect compared to the 14x16 I have? Only reason i was looking for a little more top end was for footing. I definitely dont want to give up the holeshot and the consistency of the pull when slaloming. I also heard/read that upgrading to a cnc prop will cut back on vibration and may cause a better ride? Thanks again for the help.

Any of the CNC props made for the direct drive 1.23 boats (422, 470, 1442, 428, etc) should improve just about every single aspect of the boats performance over the stock cast Federal- holeshot, speed holding, midrange power, smoothness and top end. The one that will see the least benefit is the top end, but Ive yet to see a properly matched CNC prop slow a boat down.

42mph @4200rpm is a pretty slow hull, but not radically so. Some No Wake Zone (1990-1996) Ski Nautiques just bury the nose, so Im guessing you have one of these. Of course, if you havent tuned the boat up (cap/rotor/plugs/wires/timing/alignment/etc) then I would do that first. If you still only pull 4200 RPM then you'll want a prop that gets you into the 4400-4600 RPM range at WOT. If you have no intentions of ever adding power, then Id say the 470 would probably be your best choice, followed closely by the 1442 based on how you use the boat. I would expect a marginal increase in top end (43ish).If you wakeboarded, then the 1458 would probably be one to consider- that would give you a bit more RPM at all speeds but would most likely slow the boat down on top.

Chris, Delta is a great place to get a prop- good prices, customer service, repair, etc. I have seen some iffy prop recommendations come from them though- I would stick with the advice shared on these forums instead. Call Acme directly if you want- they are another good source of info. Of course, most of it comes from their customer trials and testing... which often leads right back to these forums. I have no idea where Delta gets the data to base their recommendations.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 2:18am
thanks for the info TRB, we will wakeboard occasionally, however, slaloming is the main use for the boat, Like I said, i like to barefoot for the fun of it, but slaloming takes priority over anythng elso. Ill give acme a call on the 1442 and the 470 you suggested. Can you maybe explain to me what the difference in performance is between the two. Like you said, it is good to hear insight from others that go through the trial and error themselves. Sometime in the future i will definetely do engine mods, right now just want to get started with the little things first. This maybe a dumb question, what does wot stand for? thanks for the input
levin
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 2:49am
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

This maybe a dumb question, what does wot stand for?

Wide Open Throttle
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 10:10am
that went right over my head, I need to stop working so much

thanks
levin
jjurewicz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjurewicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 7:36pm
what did you decide? Acme 1442 or 470? I am facing the same issue, like more top speed for footin 42-43 which prop is best?
jjurewicz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjurewicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 7:38pm
Another silly Q for 1996 PCM (FORD Winsor) engine I would need a RH prop correct? I believe it was a Walter V Drive (where would I check this?)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by jjurewicz jjurewicz wrote:

Another silly Q for 1996 PCM (FORD Winsor) engine I would need a RH prop correct? )

John,
Both the Acme 1442 and 470 props are RH.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 9:12am
I love my 422!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
jjurewicz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjurewicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 1:29pm
Is the 442 short for Acme 1442?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by jjurewicz jjurewicz wrote:

Is the 442 short for Acme 1442?

no

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 2:22pm
the prop is a 422
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 3:32pm
Sorry I havnt replied, I've been reading
this thread over my phone just looking at recent posts and didn't even realize that this was a thread I started! Been a awhile (2010). Anyway, I went with the 1442 and really like it. Don't have any numbers on performance for you but I can tell up there is plenty of holeshot with it. She gets up and goes in a hurry. Fun to drive and more fun to pull skiers. Topspeed is good enough to foot easily but we mainly slalom. By the way, engine is standard 351, not a gt40
levin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 9:01pm
I was wondering which engine you had. My 95 GT 40 Efi engine will hit 5,200 RPM with a 224 Acme, very similar to the 422 Acme. Two weeks ago it hit 47 on gps reading.
jjurewicz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjurewicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 8:24am
For my 96 bautique with 351 winsor PCM engine and direct frive transmission, i believe i would need a Left hand prop correct? It does back up differently compared to my friends with Malibu and mastercraft that all have RH props.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 9:38am
No, you have it backwards.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 3:29pm
Nautiques with a 1.23:1 transmission and a left hand engine will spin the prop right hand. This is a design feature to help balance the driver weight, instead of having the prop torque increase the "list" of the boat when underway.

Malibu's and Mastercrafts both use a left hand prop...

Just to clarify what TRBenj was saying above.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic