Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

can a girl do a stringer job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
cjnovus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjnovus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2011 at 8:02am
vondy, i live in hot springs, too, downtown near the bath houses. it's a really pretty place and lake ouachita is where we usually go. i've been to greeson before, too. i think that's the one with the cliffs? it's been awhile.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by cjnovus cjnovus wrote:

vondy, i live in hot springs, too, downtown near the bath houses. it's a really pretty place and lake ouachita is where we usually go. i've been to greeson before, too. i think that's the one with the cliffs? it's been awhile.

Hate spammers!!!!!

TL- Welcome to the site and congrats on taking the plunge to restore a sweet boat! Have you pulled the old stringers out yet? I recommend doing one side at a time so you have a good reference for the height. Don't cpes your wood till after it has been shaped.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

Yeah, we live right on Cedar Creek. We are marine contractors. We actually installed all of the steel retaining wall (except for the 500 feet that leans) on John Paul Jones park at Hubbard. I know what you mean. I'm doing a project at Tawakoni right now. It's even worse.

My dad has a house on the water in Gun Barrel just around the corner from some of the better ski water on Cedar Creek. We like the Brazos too but you're right, it's a drive. It's a drive even if you live in the Rio Vista area LOL. So we stick to the Creek unless we can get to Rio Vista for the most part. You should PM me. We could probably grab some water together sometime. I grew up at Cedar Creek. My family has been in the area since Texas was a Republic so I know a few people around town.

Heck...maybe if we team up we can force people to take a break from Christmas to throw us a proper birthday party.

I went to Cedar in April. The lake is big. We rented a home close to the island that has the ramp. I believe the road was Seaside. The lake was really low but we had a good time. We went to check the area and home for sale. We are also looking at a property in Grandbury close to where the river ends. I need to save you e-mail in case I purchase the property. I might need some retaining wall work.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:29am

Need to ask my brother about Greeson, I don't think he's ever been. Sounds nice.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:38am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Need to ask my brother about Greeson, I don't think he's ever been. Sounds nice.

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Hate spammers!!!!!

David,
The above was originally posted by Jamie and then "cjnovus" spammed it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 12:40pm
I suppose if you could get the boat in the kitchen, then yes a girl can do a stringer job...
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 1:23pm
Hell Hollywood, that's where I prefer to keep my boat when it's not on the water.

Casting a mold for the seat base in the living room seems to have been a bad idea though.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 5:12pm

You would enjoy it very well vondy. The rv park and camping areas are covered in huge pines, lots of shade, water is clear as can be, and not lots of traffic.

Out fo dallas you head on 30 going east towards texarkana, @ 59 head north towards dierks arakansas and take 71 east towards lake gresson. Come right out on the far nw side of the lake. thats where normally stay. Lots of fun. You will have to give it try sometime.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Hate spammers!!!!!

David,
The above was originally posted by Jamie and then "cjnovus" spammed it!!!

I understand spamming but I'm not quite sure I get it in this instance...?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 8:49pm

I understand spamming but I'm not quite sure I get it in this instance...?

David,
Look at the bottom of all "his" posts and you'll see the links to whatever he's selling. Also, you can go to "his" profile, search his posts and if you read them, you'll see "his" text is all copied/pasted from a previous members post in the same thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 9:15pm
OK, now I see. Wow, they have infested this site haven't they.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 10:25pm

OK, now I see. Wow, they have infested this site haven't they.

Yes, they sure have. I'm usually the first on the site (on this side of the world! ) in the morning. I'll usually find two or three each morning and report them to Keith. Most of the time he'll be around and delete them early. Most are coming over from China!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:57am
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

Yeah, we live right on Cedar Creek. We are marine contractors. We actually installed all of the steel retaining wall (except for the 500 feet that leans) on John Paul Jones park at Hubbard. I know what you mean. I'm doing a project at Tawakoni right now. It's even worse.

My dad has a house on the water in Gun Barrel just around the corner from some of the better ski water on Cedar Creek. We like the Brazos too but you're right, it's a drive. It's a drive even if you live in the Rio Vista area LOL. So we stick to the Creek unless we can get to Rio Vista for the most part. You should PM me. We could probably grab some water together sometime. I grew up at Cedar Creek. My family has been in the area since Texas was a Republic so I know a few people around town.

Heck...maybe if we team up we can force people to take a break from Christmas to throw us a proper birthday party.

I went to Cedar in April. The lake is big. We rented a home close to the island that has the ramp. I believe the road was Seaside. The lake was really low but we had a good time. We went to check the area and home for sale. We are also looking at a property in Grandbury close to where the river ends. I need to save you e-mail in case I purchase the property. I might need some retaining wall work.

Sounds good to me Anthony. I could probably help you out with this area a bit if you had any questions about things. There is also a development up in the Grandbury area that has a series of private ski lakes. They are developed just for water skiers. I believe they have some lots for sale up in Grandbury.
turbo_lesbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 1:45am

TL- Welcome to the site and congrats on taking the plunge to restore a sweet boat! Have you pulled the old stringers out yet? I recommend doing one side at a time so you have a good reference for the height. Don't cpes your wood till after it has been shaped.

yes, one at a time was how i planned to do it. i have a good start on the stands, but didn't get them finished, so maybe this weekend i'll be able to finish those and get her on them and level. if i can manage to get that done, then i'll be able to start the master plan for the stringers:

-pull one stringer
-grind and prep floor
-scribe wood to hull
-CPES stringer
-bed stringer in thickend epoxy
-fillet with thickend epoxy

i want to get them all bedded before i fiberglass so i can try to do that all at once. the plan for fiberglass is:

-down the length of the stringer 2/2/4/4/8/8 biax 12 over the top
(not forgeting to hit the corners with a router cutting out those pesky sharp corners)
-same with the ribs, but no biax.

does this sound acceptable? i've put in for a quote at us composites. my list looks pretty much like jeff's except for the brushes, mixing cups, and what not. i'm really hoping the weather cooperates with me this weekend or i'm going to have to build some kind of tent for it.

the kids are already picking out life jackets and tubes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 9:14am
Jamie,
You've been doing your homework!! You have a sound plan in mind.

One problem though, the kids are looking at the wrong equipment!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 10:41am
thanks, pete!

silly kids! i keep telling them, "yeah i like that one, too. we're gona have to wait to get that."

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 11:17am
I would recommend using the biax up the sides of the stringers, as well as over the top. I would also recommend bedding and then glassing the stringers one at a time. Thats about all the glassing you'll want to do in one sitting anyways- and not having the secondaries in the way while youre glassing the primaries is a bonus.

I didnt re-read the whole thread... are you re-foaming?

Tell the kids, "Just say NO to tubing!"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 11:55am
Tubing causes cancer.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 3:08pm
Hollywood, you bought that shirt yet?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tubing causes cancer.

heh! i've thought that my whole life...

no. i'm not re-foaming. it was like a big sponge. i'm going to put in some ribs and a plywood floor.

i almost finished the stands today. hopefully this weekend there will be a removal.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 12:12am
Originally posted by turbo_lesbo turbo_lesbo wrote:

[QUOTE=Hollywood] Tubing causes cancer.

heh! i've thought that my whole life...

You fit right in here!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 12:20am
You'd be surprised what a really big tube can do!

I pull mine behind the boat while wearing an orange life jacket and camo baseball cap.

By the time I've idled to the back of the cove, everyone else has left the area.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 1:07am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

orange life jacket and camo baseball cap.

uncle steve?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:56am

I pull mine behind the boat while wearing an orange life jacket and camo baseball cap.

By the time I've idled to the back of the cove, everyone else has left the area.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 2:17am
i just ordered the glass and resin. no turning back now!
the stands are built, but we had lots of rain, company, and were without children this weekend so the boat is still on the trailer. i'll have to get my neighbor to help me get her up on them. i'm really starting to get excited.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2011 at 3:57pm
finally got her on stands and level. just pulled out the the starboard secondary, but had to quit working because it's about a bazillion degrees outside right now. i'm gona get back out there later today and grind on it. yay, progress!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2011 at 4:21pm
Cool beans Jamie and don't forget to take pics of your progress and post them up here. We love to see old boats restored. Good luck!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 2:37pm

You'd be surprised what a really big tube can do!

Oh yeah...pulled that one before myself. If you really wanna seal the deal have some friends with jet skis idle along with you. The paler they are the better.
78skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 5:28pm
I know you're probably way past finished with this project but I got to the thread late. I came to this site exactly like you did in 2005 with the same question. How to repair a set of damaged stringers and fix a soft floor in a 78 ski nautique.

I took lots of advice and went with polyester for the stringers and epoxy on the top deck which was actually made of extruded honeycomb made from polypropaline plastic extruded at 1/2 inch thickness sandwiched under a layer of epoxy and glass and then 1/8th inch of PVC plastic. The 1/2 extruded Honeycomb board was actually made normally for aviation composition construction for like bulkheads in a sandwich composition. I used it to replace my floor with as little wood as possible so I didn't have to worry about it getting wet. The only wood in my floor is the treated 2x10 wraped in epoxy that supports the ski pylon at the base in the floor.

I took pictures that are at www.78skinautique.zoomshare.com if you want to look. How did yours turn out?

Did you get it finished in time for summer?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic