NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

when does the four barrel kick in?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when does the four barrel kick in?
    Posted: May-10-2011 at 12:39am
As I increase the throttle at a steady somewhat brisk pace, there is a noticeable increase in acceleration at approximately 38mph....an extra oomph. is this when the 4 barrel kicks in? Should it feel obvious? Mine does. Is this the only time they would kick in? Is it related to RPM, load, what? A question demonstrating my ignorance I guess, but I've been wondering.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 1:34am
Yes 36to 38 is typical, and opens somewhat slowly at a set cfm via venturi vacuum working against the diaphragm return spring.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 6:26pm
You can also get a spring kit to adjust when the secondaries to open sooner/later to fine tune your application.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 7:58pm
I saw one that you can adjust from the outside without opening it up, 40$ Worth it? Watch ya think will I feel a difference if secondaries open faster
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I saw one that you can adjust from the outside without opening it up, 40$ Worth it? Watch ya think will I feel a difference if secondaries open faster

sure it will, you'll be heading to the gas dock faster!
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

Watch ya think will I feel a difference if secondaries open faster

At the Gas Pump you'll feel a difference!   
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 12:37pm
Also, it's my understanding that you could feel a bog if the secondaries opened too soon, right?
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 2:07pm
Yes, you can't just add more fuel and get more power. The spring kits are just to fine tune the secondaries. I would imagine that with head, cam, exhaust changes, some tuning could make the engine run smoother.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 9:54am
anyone remember the old qaudraboggs on cars? cool sound
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 10:19am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Yeah Baby, they sounded even better when you flipped over the top of the air cleaner.   
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Yeah Baby, they sounded even better when you flipped over the top of the air cleaner.   

I had a '71 Olds with a Rocket 350 that I ran like that.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I had a '71 Olds with a Rocket 350 that I ran like that.

yep, Olds Delta 88 with the rocket 350, you could power brake the tires off of that thing, pedal the throttle and it sounded like a train horn.LOL

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic