NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Added New Dash Ground to 93 with Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by gcam4 gcam4 wrote:

I'm resurrecting an old thread. I installed PP last year and now have low voltage at the dash. So, my thinking is new power and ground wire to the engine and then get rid of the daisy chains and install two buss bars at the dash. I will be using marine grade wire sized up 1 or 2 gauges for the mains, 6 or 8 gauge, along with adhesive lined heat shrink connections. I believe that is the best option?

Grant,
Sounds like the best plan. You're doing it correctly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 3:03pm
If you are leaving the existing wires between the engine and the dash then you don't need to go that big. The new wires will be in parallel with the originals. 10 gauge is more than sufficient even if you disconnect the originals.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 1:03am
Pete, thanks for the encouragement.

@desertskier yeah, i don't think i will need to go up in size but I do plan on installing a new receiver that has a class D amp in in it which calls for larger than normal power. I will likely just pull an 8 and know that I will have no issues.

I haven't really had the opportunity to look at the wire routing. Does anyone know cable lengths on a 95? I think I'll do the battery wiring as well as the dash.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 1:26am

I do plan on installing a new receiver that has a class D amp in in it which calls for larger than normal power.

You probably don't want to power this from your ignition circuit. If it draws a lot of current it should have a dedicated feed with it's own fuse. Not through the ignition breaker and accessory switches. Typically any stereo equipment other than a head unit is powered directly from the battery with in-line fuses and dedicated grounds.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2020 at 10:06am
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

You probably don't want to power this from your ignition circuit. If it draws a lot of current it should have a dedicated feed with it's own fuse. Not through the ignition breaker and accessory switches. Typically any stereo equipment other than a head unit is powered directly from the battery with in-line fuses and dedicated grounds.

Yeah, i understand that. If i install the radio that I am speaking of with a onboard class D 40W X 4 amplifier, i will run a dedicated fused constant power to the battery. The switched power will be to the ignition.
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2020 at 12:07am
With Memorial Day coming up on me sooner than I originally thought, I am going to have to forgo the bus bar for the near future.

@desertskier, how did you splice into the main power feeding the ignition breaker? Adding a ground is simple because I can do that with a ring terminal, but the power wire is a quick disconnect. I could splice into it with a butt splice, but don't really like that idea too much.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 3:36pm

With Memorial Day coming up on me sooner than I originally thought, I am going to have to forgo the bus bar for the near future.

@desertskier, how did you splice into the main power feeding the ignition breaker? Adding a ground is simple because I can do that with a ring terminal, but the power wire is a quick disconnect. I could splice into it with a butt splice, but don't really like that idea too much.

You can use a piggyback type connector:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6518/Wiring04.JPG
kloeck6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kloeck6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2022 at 4:17pm
Do you still have the pictures available? For some reason they don't show up for me. Thx!
92 Nautique
kloeck6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kloeck6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2022 at 4:18pm
To original poster Bri892001, Do you still have the pictures available? For some reason they don't show up for me. Thx!
92 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic