Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wont start after engine warm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rpg168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpg168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wont start after engine warm
    Posted: June-25-2011 at 2:49pm
84 Ski Nautique

Starts fine initially. Runs great. Idles fine. But when i turn the engine off, it will not start again.
(of course this happens out on the water and far from the boat ramp)

Carb is getting plenty of fuel.

Im thinking ignition problems...

Anyone have this happen before or know a solution?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by rpg168 rpg168 wrote:

Anyone have this happen before or know a solution?

Andy,
This is truly an understatement!! This time of year it's very common and there's currently several threads on it. (some on different engines) I just used the on site search and there's plenty of reading for you.

First thing to check is when warm and the engine just shut off, check to see if you have fuel continuing to dribble down the throat of the carb. Will it start better if you open the throttle up (starting a flooded engine)?

Welcome to CCfan. Get us some pictures and don't forget to get your boat up in the diaries section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 6:29pm
I have another post just like this... I had an 84 as well.. great boat!   Mine I have to pump pump pump pump while turning over, then she fires.

So when I shut it off, I should see fuel dump in the carb from the front of the carb body? Or?
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by tommer12 tommer12 wrote:

So when I shut it off, I should see fuel dump in the carb from the front of the carb body? Or?

No, you do not want to see fuel dribbling down the throat. This is a indication of the carb needing a rebuild. (needle and seat problem) The excess fuel floods the engine and then opening the throttle allows more air over coming the flooded condition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 7:36pm
Ok, so I checked, no dribble. But I was able to repeat this process like clock work. After she is warm. Say 150-160. (idle to 2k in my driveway)

I shut it off.
Pump 3 times
Starts right up every time.

When it was cold, it started almost 3/4 of a turn and it started.

So im thinking its a holley adjustment no? I dont think its timing related if I can pump three times and it starts.

But if i dont pump, it will not start until I start pumping the throttle..

Now.. what could this cause be?    sorry for the double post, but Im going to update my other posting as well.

Thanks all!
rpg168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpg168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 7:47pm
I have seen no extra fuel coming out of the carb after the engine stops. Im pretty sure the carb is not needing a rebuild.
It was installed new about 3 years ago (Edelbrock 750cfm).

I keep hearing that "vapor lock" is the culprit, but I am not convinced due to the fact that after some time, the additional fuel which "flooded" the engine must eventually evaporate and a new start attempt should be a success.
Yesterday, I let the engine cool for over an hour, after she did not want to start, and I never even got a cylinder fire.

My next guess would be an overheated ignition coil.
The coil heats up excessively and just doesnt want to work anymore until it is "cool" again.

Is this scenario even valid or not?

Would an electric fuel pump replacement of the mechanical fuel pump be a good idea? Of course i would install this away from the engine to reduce the heat on the pump.

Thanks for all the advice so far!!
much appreciated
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 8:24pm

I have seen no extra fuel coming out of the carb after the engine stops. Im pretty sure the carb is not needing a rebuild.
It was installed new about 3 years ago (Edelbrock 750cfm).

I keep hearing that "vapor lock" is the culprit, but I am not convinced due to the fact that after some time, the additional fuel which "flooded" the engine must eventually evaporate and a new start attempt should be a success.
Yesterday, I let the engine cool for over an hour, after she did not want to start, and I never even got a cylinder fire.

My next guess would be an overheated ignition coil.
The coil heats up excessively and just doesnt want to work anymore until it is "cool" again.

Is this scenario even valid or not?

Would an electric fuel pump replacement of the mechanical fuel pump be a good idea? Of course i would install this away from the engine to reduce the heat on the pump.

Thanks for all the advice so far!!
much appreciated

You must tell us more.
The 750 carb sounds like a "back yard abortion" job. Sorry but you DON'T need that size carb!! WHY?

Vapor lock? not likely!!

Electric fuel pump? who's telling you this? Don't!! the OEM mechanical is great. Have you even checked the supplied pressure to the carb from the existing?

Ignition problem - Yes but you need to do more testing. What's up with the ignition system? has a EI conversion been done? Has the ballast resistor been by-passed? does the EI/conversion call for it?

Andy,
You must give us more info. you haven't filled out much of your profile which does give us some understanding of what your background is! Pictures??? Did you purchase a "hack job"??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 8:27pm

Ok, so I checked, no dribble. But I was able to repeat this process like clock work. After she is warm. Say 150-160. (idle to 2k in my driveway)

I shut it off.
Pump 3 times

So im thinking its a holley adjustment no? I dont think its timing related if I can pump three times and it starts.

Now.. what could this cause be?    sorry for the double post, but Im going to update my other posting as well.

Thanks all!

Have you checked the choke?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I shut it off.
Pump 3 times

Thanks all!

Have you checked the choke?

Choke plate is wide open when warm. (top plate right?!)
rpg168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpg168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 12:55pm
the edelbrock has run flawlessly and really allows that big block to stretch its legs.
Its alot of carb for a 350, but not a 454.

Why is vapor lock not likely? I have heard this culprit from quite a few mechanics that i've explained the symptoms to.

Electric fuel pump....well, you always have constant fuel pressure, if the pump is submerged in fuel it stays cooler and you have gas the instant you turn the key on. Simple. Easy to troubleshoot.
I have replaced the mechanical for an electric on my 3/4 ton pickup. I guess that would be a "backyard abortion"?

Ignition system: Not sure why i'd even think this would be the case except that im getting no spark once the engine is heated up. That tells me that the ignition system (coil, distributor, wires, spark plugs) have an issue somewhere.

Im not sure that knowing much about my background would help in making my boat start up after its warmed. I guess this might help others to know for sure if im a guy that likes to get ripped off by "hack jobs".

Im pretty proud of my boat and have had many great comments about her.

----------

Is there another poster that would like to comment on the "starting after warmed"?

thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 1:18pm

the edelbrock has run flawlessly and really allows that big block to stretch its legs.
Its alot of carb for a 350, but not a 454.

Why is vapor lock not likely? I have heard this culprit from quite a few mechanics that i've explained the symptoms to.

Electric fuel pump....well, you always have constant fuel pressure, if the pump is submerged in fuel it stays cooler and you have gas the instant you turn the key on. Simple. Easy to troubleshoot.
I have replaced the mechanical for an electric on my 3/4 ton pickup. I guess that would be a "backyard abortion"?

Ignition system: Not sure why i'd even think this would be the case except that im getting no spark once the engine is heated up. That tells me that the ignition system (coil, distributor, wires, spark plugs) have an issue somewhere.

Im not sure that knowing much about my background would help in making my boat start up after its warmed. I guess this might help others to know for sure if im a guy that likes to get ripped off by "hack jobs".

Im pretty proud of my boat and have had many great comments about her.

----------

Is there another poster that would like to comment on the "starting after warmed"?

thanks

Andy,
Sorry but you did not state what size engine you're running the 750 on in your first post so I incorrectly assumed it was a small block. The small block is more common in our boats. Hopefully the 750 is a marine. We have seen plenty of "back yard" mechanics go after their engines and it typically starts with a larger carb hence the "hack job" comment. Many even have bought these "hack job" boats with problems created by the PO and didn't realize what they have gotten into. You need to fill us in.

Under dog house (engine enclosure) temps in a boat do not get as high as a car so vapor lock is unlikely. Are the mechanics telling you it may be vapor lock, are they marine? What's the fuel pump putting out? Have you put a pressure gauge inline to check it?

Consistent fuel pressure with an electric? Same is true with a mechanical!!

It wasn't until your last post where you state you do not have spark when warm. Sorry I've commented on the fuel problem but do understand you did talk fuel from the beginning. Get the spark back and then go after the fuel. Ohm out the primary coil on the coil when hot. Don't just start throwing parts at it without testing first. You are simply guessing at the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 1:35am
Hey Pete, any idea on my "three pumps" to get it started after being warm? I didnt get a chance to tinker yesterday, but wanted to see if anyone had any tips.

Thanks much! Wish I could hit the nautique reunion on Green lake, Parents have a lake house not far from there.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 5:54pm
Talked to my speed shop guy and he thinks for sure its a boiling gas problem. To solve this, add in a phenolic spacer between the carb and the manifold. This will keep the fuel from getting too hot.   Im going to install one hopefully tomorrow or Thursday and see how it goes.   It basically gasket, metal, gasket, metal, gasket sequence between the carb and manifold.   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 6:03pm

Talked to my speed shop guy and he thinks for sure its a boiling gas problem. To solve this, add in a phenolic spacer between the carb and the manifold. This will keep the fuel from getting too hot.   Im going to install one hopefully tomorrow or Thursday and see how it goes.   It basically gasket, metal, gasket, metal, gasket sequence between the carb and manifold.   

The only time I have seen someone point to heat soak as a credible cause for poor starting is Jody (and others) when discussing MPEFI starting issues- usually GT40 related.

It sounds like you have a carb adjustment problem. What RPM do you have idle set at? Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws for max vaccuum (while in gear)? Im assuming you verified your base timing before even considering a fuel problem.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 6:10pm
It is a stock 351, but we put new GT40 heads on last year.    I can idle steady at 500/600/700 on my trailer no issue.   I have not checked vacuum, but if it was an issue, vacuum should be bouncing my RPMs around at idle, which its .not.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 6:18pm
I did not say vacuum leak. I said that the idle mixture screws need to be adjusted until the engine pulls max vacuum.

Once you have done that, and then adjusted your curb idle properly (~650rpm in gear) then your boat should restart beautifully.

Installing a phenolic spacer might be easier though.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 8:29pm
I'll check the vacuum though to make sure Im peaked. I did adjust the mixture screws slightly and noticed if I turned a little each one way (cant remember which, I think in) it would start to sputter, so set it back to where it was. Idle was on the trailer at about 600 rpms steady
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 10:46am

Idle was on the trailer at about 600 rpms steady

That is too low and is likely related to your starting issues. The mixture screws also need to be adjusted under load (in gear, in the water).
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 5:36pm
My holley must be older, I cant figure out where the vacuum connection is. I had a newer holley on my 84 and it had a separate plug to simply attach the vacuum gauge. This holley, I can figure out where you plug it in. Any tips?
Thanks!!
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 10:02pm
okay, finally got my to turn key warm start. For whatever reason, the idle mixture screws needed a full turn out on both sides and she starts like a champ every time.   I sprayed around for vacuum leaks, none I could find. Not sure where i could plug a gauge in anyways, there is no fitting, or 3/8 plug on the intake I could find. Could still be a tiny leak somewhere, possibly why I had to go out a full turn to get my warm starts to normal.
Hope this helps someone! Id still like to figure out the vacuum gauge though at somepoint.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic