Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4.3L V-6 is it possiable?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.3L V-6 is it possiable?
    Posted: July-21-2011 at 1:30am
I'm looking at a Mustang project with a swapped in RR Chrysler 318 of questionable condition.

Thinking about an inexpensive alternate powerplant and can not help but think that at around 200 hp a Chevy 4.3L V-6 would be a nice swap. Ofcourse I'd love to stay counter roatation but if I had to run it conventional I could.

Anyone running the Chevy V-6 in the inboard?
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 1:33am
MartyMabe v6 skylark?? other than that ????
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 1:53am
Why would you do that....
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 2:03am
Mike you sure it's swopped in? Some Mustangs had Mopars,Rodney Hubbard and Marshall Morgan come to mind. Marty's Skylark,same hull as a Mustang,has the small Buick V6 and moves along nicely. Finding a reverse cam, motor mounts and then a bellhousing for a borg warner might pose some trouble.Eric might know about those parts tho.Seems to me rebuilding what you have would be better.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 2:43am
The 4.3L also has a counterbalance rod that spins in the V since it's such an unbalanced engine. You'd probably have to get that reversed somehow too, perhaps. Great motor in a Chevy Astro, probably not so much in a boat (although it's been done on I/Os). Very low-revving as I recall, as well.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:07am
Boat Dr ~ Why?

I guess it is just some of that car guy stuff leaking out. I try to hide it but it keeps seaping out and floating to the top. And I've got a low hrs 4.3L GM crate engine under the bench. I've never owned or played with Chrysler stuff. The engine is one of the few things this boat has going for it ~ if by chance that turns up lame I need a good back up strategy.          

From the seller: This boat was originally ford powered. The 318 was part of a fresh repower set from a cruiser / work boat used at Virginia Institute of Marine Science. The donor boat suffered terminal hull damage while being transported shortly after the referb. The twin 318 engines were Gov Liquidators auctioned. Seller still has the 1.88:1 trans from the work boat. He sold the standard rotation turn key setup for what he gave for the both and got his low hrs 318 for cheap / free.   

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 10:22am
I dont believe a righty was ever produced because by the time the 4.3 came along the full power tranny's and counter rotating drives were starting to surface, they do make power and you would see weight savings, see a few in twin screw late model boats.
actually you could use a sbc, bbc bellhousing because the 4.3 is a small block chevy with 2 cylinders missing.
they do push a boat along though. a nice set up would be a 4.3 with a 1.23:1 behind it....I would imagine there a hot parts for those 4.3's
"the things you own will start to own you"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:56pm
I bet some research would conclude a 4.3 would end up much wider and just as heavy as a 302/289.
They make nice power, don't deny, but a 302 can take 6krpm with just a premium set of rod bolts.
Something to think about.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 11:52pm
Great motor in my old sonoma. When I inadvertently replaced the blown rear end with a rear end out of 4 cylinder with 4:10's I could pull away from about anything on the road fully loaded with work gear until computer shut off the fuel thinking It was going 95mph when it was really going 60. A lot of go fast street options for the 4.3...don't know about marine.The exhaust note would be all wrong for that mustang, in my opinion. If you decide to stick with the 318 I've got a bunch of parts due to a failed marinization of a 360 by the PO owner of my boat.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 2:56am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

a nice set up would be a 4.3 with a 1.23:1 behind it

Agree this would be a great setup for a small pleasure boat. Newer ones rated at 225hp.

Very popular sterndrive engine down here, pulls very nice torque at 3000-3500rpms, but use quite more fuel than a V8 doing the same job.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic