NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Learning to Slalom

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning to Slalom
    Posted: September-27-2011 at 10:04am
The "Crossing the Wake" topic has got me thinking there are lots of recreational skiers, like me, who don't have a clue.

Are there any how to books? A quick search of amazon showed little to choose from. Videos to watch? What in the world is west coast vs east coast?

What is the theory of what the ski and skier are duing during a a turn? From what I've seen, I'm sure is is counterintuitive.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 11:36am
Gary, your best resource on this topic will probably be fifteenoff.com... run by our very own M3Fan.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 2:29pm
One can't really carve a nice fluid turn unless one exits the wakes with a lot of speed, so focusing on the turn first is counterproductive imo.

If you are centered, stacked, and willing to put pressure on the front, and you exit the wakes fast, the turn just happens, burn off that speed putting up water in the preturn. the turn is as natural and riding a bike.

There is traditional and west, Not gospel but traditional is straight and upright, shoulders back, handle at hip, or more precisely, hip up to handle; west appears more compressed, shoulders round over, torso slightly twisted, handle down at the knees.

Though getting long in tooth, i recommend rathbun's 12 slalom drills video,
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 2:56pm
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 10:12am
Thanks for the link, I'll read the book and work on some core strength this winter. I'd like to get a revival of sorts going, with some skiing and footing at our lake.
tcrs1984 View Drop Down

spammer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcrs1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 8:35am
good morning , i am from China ,and i want to find some friend.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:05pm
no friends here. k bye
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 12:53pm
he so horny
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic