Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vapor Lock? 1978 restored Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 8:40pm
I talked to my mechanic today about my Resorter I need him to winterize and he is convinced this is heat related. Fuel getting too hot in the carb. He mentioned something about running temp. at 140 vs. 160? He said to prove it we can run it until it starts happening and then completely remove the doghouse while it is still hot. If it keeps happening then he thinks the fuel in the carb. is too hot causing this?

The carb. was rebuilt this summmer so that is fresh. The gas line has been updated. I did this when the original fuel filter holder rusted out and started leaking. New (modern) fuel filter, New rubber fuel line and rebuilt carb.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 10:10am
any problems with your tach?
keep an open mind and just dont concentrate on it being a fuel issue.
its so fcn hard to troubleshoot a boat when the problem isnt happening in a shop setting, Im doing one now waisting my time, engine locks up after running on the water, of course the owner is a 30 year seasoned mechanic but cant work on it anymore, so he has all kinds of suggestions, but I always go back to basics, I first start with a simple compression test, thats good so far, now onto the next step......
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 10:11am
and he assures me the flappers are in the exhaust.....we'll see
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 10:57am
does it fill with water? all cylinders?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Dishman Dishman wrote:

New rubber fuel line and rebuilt carb.

USCG approved rubber line?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 6:12pm
I will check on the uscg approved rubber line. But if it is not, that would be a bush league error? worth checking as all these ideas are. I am making a check list for him so thanks for all the ideas.

He always works on the boat in the water vs. At his shop.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 9:40am

I will check on the uscg approved rubber line. But if it is not, that would be a bush league error?   

Maybe! There is a different requirement for the suction side from the tank VS: the pressure side from the pump to the carb. If he installed plain rubber hose from the pump to the carb then yes "bush league". Run from him but even more important run before it blows!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 9:59am
Luch, not as of yet, dont want to steal the thread here. I think he may have a bad riser? its the 4 cylinder 140, they always have head problems, so i did a quickie comp test to no avail,
im going to run it today again and let it sit and then pull the plugs and see if im getting any water in there
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2011 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

New rubber fuel line and rebuilt carb.

USCG approved rubber line?

So the fuel line is marine specific? I'm also planning to change out mine 'cause a PO has put 3 fuel filters in it. But reading this I should not just go to an auto-parts store and get a new one there?

On the OP's subject; condensation in the distributor cap maybe? I had(/have) the same issue and that is what it turned out to be in my case.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2011 at 9:57pm
Luch, sorry trip, I found my problem, I was back by the engine and was having my guy hit the key, he would hit the key and sure as *************** it seemed as if it was locking, I ran the boat and let it sit again in hopes of catching some water spit and pulled the plugs, did another comp test and was getting a steady 175 across the board....I was seconds from pulling the manifold which is a bit of a project on a 140. so I sat by the engine again with the plugs out and he hit the key in hopes of seeing water spit...the beeotch fcn locked again.
Well, infukinpossible. stood up, scratched the boys, and grabbed a test light and put it on the yellow wire on the starter and told him to hit it again, light went on and the off in the crank positon...it was the ignition switch the entire time, it would hit and then cut out and seemed like it was locking....well I gave the old crotchity 30 year mechanic a bill for my time including, 14 bucks for a switch and i got the wtf?????? so i said look hear buddy, i couldve pulled your manifold, painted it, pulled the head, or mysteriously pulled your head and said i found the problem, it was a bad head gasket, gave you a bill for 12 hundies and you wouldve been more happy, but i didnt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2011 at 10:00pm
I think he just felt like an ass, because I took his word that he swore to me it was the engine locking, and then realized it was a 14 dollar part
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 9:22pm
I think Eric had the answer.. I am hoping. After running great all last summer on non-oxy premium vs just premium it started doing the same crap.. Changed the impeller and rotor but same crap.. Had my mechanic (I am loyal) with me when it was acting up and we are now installing or replacing a prestolite Ignitor ii and the coil. It did not have points but I don't think it was an ignitor ii.. But part of that piece was cracked and loose... Based on this forum and all the other things we have tried..I got a feeling this is going o do the trick. I think when the coil got too hot the piece which was cracked and loose was causing the mis fire after about 1-1/2 hours of use. We will find out tomorrow. Thanks Everyone!
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 10:57am
EricLavine is the man.. He was right and only going of my crude description of the issue.. An ignitor ii prestolite clamp down and flame thrower coil has finally put this issue to rest. What is strange is the boat worked in Summer 2012 for 50 plus hours but started back with he bogging out issue in 2013. Thanks Eric!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic