Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Cuda steering wheel wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Cuda steering wheel wanted
    Posted: January-17-2012 at 7:26pm
Need a steering wheel for my 1968 Barracuda, in restorable condition.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2012 at 7:36pm
The wheel in the picture is what I am after.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2012 at 7:55pm
That wheel came on the SS's (though probably not exclusively) so you may have a tough time finding one at a reasonable price. The (simulated) wood rimmed 3-spoke Teleflex wheel was probably more common in a standard Cuda- just FYI.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2012 at 8:18pm
I would honestly take either one, however my boat resembles the one pictured in the catalogue I posted above. My boat doesn't have the wood grain dash plate and has a different configuration for all the switches than the Cuda in your picture. I also have different gauges, earlier Aiguide instuments. Not really sure what it came with to be honest, haha.

Thanks for checking out my post!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 11:05am
That white and black Merc wheel was on all the Barracudas up until sometime in 68 when they switched over to the fake wood wheel. I don't know if it's Correct Craft people driving up the price, but whenever they come upon ebay, they seem to bring more $ than any other wheel.

Are your gauges in a panel or set into the dash individually?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 12:53am
My gauges are individually set into the dash. I know my boat had an airguide speedo and tach because the original holes are visible behind the repacement gauges hidden by the trim rings. My guess would be its an early model. That catalogue pic of the Barrracuda above is identical to how my boat is set up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 1:45am
[QUOTE=TRBenj] The (simulated) wood rimmed 3-spoke Teleflex wheel was probably more common in a standard Cuda- just FYI.
QUOTE]

And almost as hard to find!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 3:24am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

[QUOTE=TRBenj] The (simulated) wood rimmed 3-spoke Teleflex wheel was probably more common in a standard Cuda- just FYI.
QUOTE]

I might have one of the woodgrain wheels like Tim posted. Came off a 70 Wildcat. I think the spokes have some surface rust. I could do some checking if interested.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 3:27am
Might also have one of the three spokers that a late 60's Mustang used... like in this pic..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 3:31am

This is a pic of the wheel in my 68 cuda...

not sure if someone changed it along the way?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 10:16am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The (simulated) wood rimmed 3-spoke Teleflex wheel was probably more common in a standard Cuda- just FYI.

I might have one of the woodgrain wheels like Tim posted.

Yeah, Gary... almost.

Steve, that wheel may be a Teleflex, judging by the hub/center cap, but I think your suspicion if it having been swapped in is a good one. I havent seen a wheel like that in any original CC, especially not one that old. CC didnt go to the smaller diameter steering wheels until the mid-late 70's (that style doesnt quite match either).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 11:44am
62 wood,

My Cuda has the same dash configuration as yours. I am looking for the correct speedo and tach as well. Have a pair of airguide sea speed gauges on the way but I really want the original flush gauges. As far as the wheel goes, send me a pic today if you can. There is a turnpike steering wheel on eBay that I am going after that ends this evening. I might be interested in the wood grain wheel though.

Thanks!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 1:02pm
Chris,
Sorry, I wont be able to get a pic til this weekend. The wheel is in storage at another place.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 1:54pm
If you can send me a pic at your convenience that would be great. I have to make a decision on the turnpike steering wheel by this evening so no rush. I can always resell the turnpike wheel if I end up with it and don't like it.

Thanks!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 5:00pm
Check ebay #160719358773 it't listed as 50's chris craft but is pretty close to what you are looking for.Has slots instead of holes in spokes may be something you can live with till the right one comes along if you can pick it up cheap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 5:26pm
oldcuda,

That is not a bad looking wheel. If I lose out on the turnpike steering wheel I'll definitely look into that one. 62 wood might have a wheel as well. It's a good week to be looking for a steering wheel apparently!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 10:54pm
Be carefull Chris, none of those ebay wheels mount to a tapered shaft like you should have on your boat. I'm not sure how a Mercury wheel mounted to one anyway,must have used an adapter.
I'd be real surprised that "50's Chris Craft wheel" came on a Chris.It might have been on one but thats no 50's wheel
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 11:24pm
Thanks Gary,

I'm really after a turnpike steering wheel. The wood Chris's Craft wheel is neet but I'm really not sure how how it would fit either.

I appreciate the insight.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic