Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vibration while turning

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1994nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration while turning
    Posted: March-21-2012 at 3:10am
Last summer I had some vibration while turning either direction with the boat. The vibration got worse the tighter i turned. Didnt get any worse over the summer. Is this an alignment problem? Any ideas?
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 3:34am
Had this problem along with vibration at high rpm. Both were rectified with a new strut bearing and alignment...

Not sure which did the trick but the combination fixed my problem
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 10:05am
Kent,
You may or may not have a problem. Whenever you put a any boat into a turn, prop/rudder cavitation is always there.
However, as mentioed, do check your alignment and the cutlass bearing to shaft clearance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 10:43am
Kent - Welcome to the site & the 'Primary Ladder Group'!

You should perform an alignment before replacing any parts. Pete has a how-to video somewhere on this site.

Be on the lookout for a bowed shaft, that would amplify the problem.

Let us know what you find out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
xiaomaizi85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xiaomaizi85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 12:52am
I have been looking for this topic for a long time, thank you so much.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:03am
I guess Supra has given up on boats and is now selling shoes

I believe I've seen TRBenj and others say that certain props will bring out a turning vibration as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:50am
Thank you everyone, gotta say I don't know much about the direct drives so it's going to be a learning process for me. I've only owned the boat for a little over a year..... I have two props I don't know which one is the factory prop one is bronz and the one on the boat is silver not sure how to decifer the numbers. I will defanitely look for the how to video on the alignment! Thanks again everyone! Still got some ice on the lake but I'm ready to get the boat out!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:22am
The bronze is more likely the factory prop. A "silver" Prop sounds like stainless steel, they are high performance but not very forgiving, If you hit something hard it will not sacrifice itself like bronze or nibral, making the far more expensive transmission the recipient of the impact. It would be interesting to swap them and see if the problem is still there. That would require a puller, and "lapping" the other prop to the shaft. Do a search for Pete's video on that.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 4:44am
Sounds good I will try that.... Do you think there is any difference in the pitch? It doesn't look like it to me. Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:40am
Originally posted by 1994nautique 1994nautique wrote:

Sounds good I will try that.... Do you think there is any difference in the pitch? It doesn't look like it to me. Thanks

You need to look at the numbers on the props. By eye it's tough to tell. Really the only way to tell is to have a prop shop check the props with their pitch blocks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:04pm
The numbers are often around the hubs of the prop. So it can be a little tough while it's installed. Here's a good picture from the Acme site:
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:51pm
I had this problem in the past and the prop was the issue. Replacing the prop (thanks Tim) cleared up the vibration - and greatly increased performance as well!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Rev Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rev Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:03pm
As Dave mentioned, make sure the prop is lapped to the shaft, and not riding on the key. A worn/loose cutlass bushing will give a fair bit of cavitation sometimes.
Cheers,
Rev Bob

"if it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!"
~~~
My Dad always said; "Everything on your boat is either broken or about to be....and you just don't know about it yet".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic