NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a couple of impeller questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Alcarlaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcarlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a couple of impeller questions
    Posted: May-22-2012 at 9:22am
A couple of quick questions.

The impeller has seen about 3 hrs use but has sat in the housing for 2 years so has taken a set, assume it would be best to ditch it and replace. Second question, the new impeller came with an o-ring however when, from memory, the last time I disassembed the pump, there wasn't one there. On reassembly does the o-ring go on the shaft before the impeller or after? Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 9:59am
I have NEVER removed an impeller for winter storage and have NEVER had a problem with one taking a "set" on ANY of my boats. I think it was even at least 20 years on my X55 that I even changed the impellers! That removing of the impellers routine was created by the marinas.

The O ring is for a different model pump. The impellers come with multiple gaskets/O rings for the different models.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:48pm
Is it a big O-ring?

My Sherwood pump has a skinny groove for a big O-ring. By big, I mean, it's about a little bigger in circumference than the impeller. But, it's not thick at all, it's very thin. The old one is almost not noticeable, and it probably wouldn't hurt anything if you forgot to change it.

This is the picture that shows it in
Aquaskier Impeller Replacement

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:50pm
If the OP told us which year boat he has, what engine it has, or even better, which model of pump he has (a picture would be great) then we would have a chance at giving him some decent, specific advice. Otherwise, its a crap shoot!

The earlier Sherwoods did not have the o-ring pictured in Brian's post, as Pete alluded to.
Alcarlaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcarlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 3:21pm
Engine is PCM GT40, 1997. No idea what make the pump is but it will be standard for yr. Looks similar to the one in the photo.

Surprised re the advice not to change the impeller. That said, it means one less job!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 3:28pm
In that case, you have a "new" style Sherwood pump, and yes, you do have a place for an o-ring, as pictured in Brian's photo.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 3:32pm
I changed mine a couple summers ago. It seems like the blades had taken a set, I still have it and I think they stayed set. No idea how long it was in there before. More than that, there were hairline cracks near the bases of the blades. I dunno. Now the impeller is getting near 100 hours. I have a spare that I won at a Reunion, so I think I'll be checking/changing it pretty soon. Seems to still cool well though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic