Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wet sanding project started few questions to ask
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet sanding project started few questions to ask

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ifishok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ifishok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet sanding project started few questions to ask
    Posted: May-24-2012 at 10:05am
I started on wet sanding my 89 Ski Nautique and when I removed the stickers, it seems like it's whiter where the stickers were.
Does the sun UV rays cause the white gel coat to turn darker?
Has anyone else ran into that type of issue?
Do I continue to sand till it's white or just live with a light cream color boat?
Is there something I can use to get the white to match?

I started with 800 then went to 600 and now down to 400, the 400 getting the white under the sticker to match the exposed part, but it taking some time, thinking of using a power tool to dry sand the white with 400, but I'm not sure if I should.

The blue stripe was darker under the stickers and it's taking some time to get it to match but it's getting there, slowly and painfully. I only want to do this once, so any help is greatly appreciated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 10:45am
We just had the same problem come up a couple days ago. He sanded to the point where he started to see glass under the gel and could still see the shadow. Others have mentioned the same issue with shadows from the virgin gel color. I had the same problem with the transom on my Tique where the PO had named the boat with decals. I ended up having to re gel the complete transom. It's a combination of the UV and more so dirt getting down into the porous gel coat.

Your solution is easy compaired to mine. I didn't have the option of covering the shadow back up with original graphics. When you put the graphics back on, they will cover up the problem. Don't try to sand them out too much.

BTW, when I re gelled the transom, I had to use a slight "off white" gel to match.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 9:16pm
Don't sand dry either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
reftech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reftech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 10:12pm
pete is right and i ran in to that problem on mine as well.dont try to bring that white back out because u will sand too deep.all u can do is get it where its satisfactory and buff out.i did try dry sanding on mine and like gary said it was a flop..wet sand only imo.i started with 400 up to 1000 then used 3m super compound then followed up with 1500 and 3m medium compound then wax.not sure i really needed the 400 though i think starting at 600 for my application would have been sufficient.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic