Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stripped Threads on Raw Water Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripped Threads on Raw Water Pump
    Posted: May-24-2012 at 12:21pm
I had my raw water pump off over the winter and pulled out the impeller. Put the impeller back in and started snugging up the bolts and all three of them stripped. I noticed the impeller housing is brass so I was careful to not overtighten the bolts. But it looks like this has been taken apart quite a bit and the threads were in bad shape to start with.

So, how to fix the stripped threads. Looked at using a Helicoil, but doesnt appear to be enough room for that. New pump maybe?

87 2001 SN. 351W engine. Sherwood pump
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:55pm
use a longer bolt and put a nut on it , 1/4-20x1
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 4:02pm
I agree. I had to do mine like that a few years ago.
83Ski
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 4:19pm
Thats what I can do on two of the holes, but the third hole is right over a screw in the housing. Not room for nut there and all the threads are gone. I think I can repair it with one of these.

A new pump, btw, is over $400. Mine is a Sherwood J4. I did find a few people that has just the housing for just over $100.

No need to replace it just yet though.

Thanks
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 2:17pm
grind / file, nut/screw make room
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic