NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tire conditions and blow outs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire conditions and blow outs
    Posted: June-10-2012 at 12:38pm
Ryan, I have the Vault bearings on my Boatmate trailer. I've had the trailer for four years and I've never had to do anything to them. I've had it to GL three times and TN a couple times. They are supposed to be a 10 year, unlimited miles, maintenance free.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 7:28pm
Found this The Vault…Hybrid Oil Bearings, any thoughts?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 7:21pm

I'm told from the dealer that this is a 100,000 mile maintenance free bearing.Guess that would explain the lack of a grease zert. Still, a little concerned or unconfident.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 9:56am
Tires seem to pull true and smooth. Can't find the grease zerts on this Dorsey.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:22am
Ryan,

Watch the tires when you drive down the road I'm the mirror. If the sidewalls don't line up and and look like they are running straight change them out.   They all last about 4 years if your close or at year 4 change them. I've learned this from experience, within about 150 miles of noticing the wobble, the tread will start to seperate, then they're done, and they all seem to go quickly once it starts. I've lost 3 in one 150 mile trip before, that's how I learned to watch and how the process goes.

If you have bearing buddies, a few squirts of grease until the cap starts to move is plenty. Don't keep going until it won't move anymore, that's likely to blow out a seal. Make sure you use waterproof grease, don't just grab a grease gun at the office or something. Learned that one the hard way too when I used the one for my mower, grease got wet and then sat for 2 months rusting, a 4 mile trip to fill up the boat cost me a whole new axel, destroyed the hub and the spindle.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 1:03am
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

I have a Cat scale not far from the house can some remind me what the tongue weight calculations is?

Ryan,
Go to the reference section "1995 manual" page 10.9 there it tells you how to figure tongue weight.
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 11:27pm
Around 10% of total weight you could go more but I wouldn't go less than that
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 11:17am
I have a Cat scale not far from the house can some remind me what the tongue weight calculations is?
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 1:21am
I'm not expert and I'm not looking at it but it almost sounds like the axle might not have enuff weight on it or it may have alittle to much toung weight ? How are the bushings in the spring eyes and the equalizer? Are they original?   Again I'm not stareing it in the face just shooting from the hip with things I have seen go wrong on other trailers.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:57am
Yes, wearing on outside. Other side not near as bad.
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:36am
It looks like the tire is warring on the out side? Is that correct? How dose the rear tire look on the other side mossy trailer axles have a crown in them so the tires will run flat when loaded
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

Is it a tandem? Is it a spring suspension or torsion spring? Where is the ware on the tire? What are you running for pressure? How are the spring bushings in the ends of the springs?

Ryans boat - clicked on his avitar

Not that smart yet I'm lucky I can run my e-mail!!!!!!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 10:50pm

Please disregard the first photo. The last is of my "Bearing Buddy type maintenance free bearing hub. Can you really trust a bearing buddy? Can't seem to find a zero anywhere. It is a Dorsey Trailer. Just looking for some peace of mind before the TN trip. hope the above pictures help. Would it be wise to get another bearing / hub for the trip. I'm looking @ 10.5 hrs drive.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

Is it a tandem? Is it a spring suspension or torsion spring? Where is the ware on the tire? What are you running for pressure? How are the spring bushings in the ends of the springs?

Ryans boat - clicked on his avitar

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 7:04pm
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 6:41pm
I've noticed that my right rear trailer tire is wearing considerably faster than the rest. I was trying to get my ducks in a row for the TN trip. Would it make sense to have those trailer tires balanced and rotated?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 11:33am

I am considering ONE OF THESE. Has anyone used one before?

I have one of those and they work great. I had a old hub that would not hold a bearing buddy on my trip to the SJRR in 2011. Once I got to Astor, I used that jack in semi sandy soil to chenge the hub. I was impressed with the way it worked. I carry it and a star wrench with me when I travel. My axel is round and it worked great.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Ryan-- You mean McMaster/Carr doesn't have one of those? Pete won't like that link to 'TuberTons'

No, Mcmaster doesn't carry them - I just checked!

Personally, I wouldn't use one especially if you have a square axle. They aren't the most stable method of jacking. I had a friend use one and he ended up getting a bottle jack. Also, they don't work in softer ground (note the pictures are taken on pavement). The small surface area makes them sink in. Try to get a 2X under it, the "jack" proped up under the axle and then back up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 11:06am

I'm glad this discussion has come up. My right rear trailer tire appears to be wearing faster than the others. I am considering ONE OF THESE. Has anyone used one before?

Ryan-- You mean McMaster/Carr doesn't have one of those? Pete won't like that link to 'TuberTons'

I'm getting one of those---- The 'Donald' says they are awesome !Donald80SN--- He just used it on the trip over to the WLM 2012
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 10:33am
I'm glad this discussion has come up. My right rear trailer tire appears to be wearing faster than the others. I am considering ONE OF THESE. Has anyone used one before?
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 9:31pm
Pull off the blown one and strap up the axle been there to many times so I carry a generator and compresser in the truck at all times and an impact gun for thouse stubborn lug nuts. I like the troly jacks (mini Floor jack) but that's me and I don't like to be on the side of the road any longer than I have to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 10:28am
If you're out shopping for a bottle jack, make sure you get one with the threaded rod on the top pad so you can adjust the height. Most of them have the feature. You can gain about 4" of height with it. To be safe, I always carry some 2X scraps of wood with me. The wood also works if you are in some softer soils where the bottle jack base wants to sink into.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
notx2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notx2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 2:38am
A floor jack worked well for me.

Just happened to me a couple weekends ago. Couldnt get the trailer high enough with the bottle jack in my truck, on the inclined dirt shoulder. What fun... had to leave the boat on the side of the road and drive home to pick up the floor jack. Ill be throwing it in the truck from now on.
82-2001
cragginshred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 2:21am
I have a tandem trailer with 5 year old tires which still have excellent tread. The boat/trailer has been garaged primarily although there is some side wall cracking I am concerned about. Right now I do not have the $ to swap tires, SO, in the unlikely event of a blow out what is the best method of changing a tire with the Boat on the trailer? I only travel about 5 miles to to the ramp at speeds from 25-45.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic