Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethanol fuel usage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethanol fuel usage
    Posted: June-10-2012 at 12:41pm
I have a 1989 sport natuique. After sitting all winter my engine started fine and all was well,until I kicked in the 4 barrel. Dogged out & engined died. Carburetor was rebuilt 2 years ago & now needs rebuilt again. Mechanic says ethanol damage. Cannot find any fuel that does not contain ethanol. What can be done?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 1:00pm
Tom, First of all welcome to CCFan and be sure to fill out a diaries page and get some pics posted of your boat. We love Pics! Haven't seen too many 89 Sports running round here so it would be cool to see her.

As far as the Ethanol usage, did you put Ethanol treatment in the tank before you winterized her? If not then there is probably your culprit. Also have you changed the fuel supply line to one that doesn't break down from the ethanol? That could be the culprit as well. It's a pretty simple task and can be done in a couple hours from start to finish. I just replaced mine this spring as I got a email regarding fuel line breakdowns. I've not had any issues with using ethanol blended fuels (knock Knock)but I won't let the boat sit for more than a month w/o running her either.( +1 for living in the south). Rebuilding a Carb yourself isn't that hard if you have any mechanical abilities. Get a rebuild kit, change out the fuel line and you should be good to go. Again welcome to CCFan!

Here's the Link I posted on it this spring.

Examine your Fuel Line
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 1:32pm
Thanks for the input. Put a new fuel line on 2 years ago when I rebuilt the first time. I did not use ethanol stabilizer but did use the standard stabilizer as I have always used since 1990! I did pick up sime Lucas Oil Ethanol treatment and am running it now.

As for the picture I will try to post one next. New to the sight so not sure of how it works yet!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

( +1 for living in the south).

Hey Tim,
To early in the morning for you? I don't think so since you are on pretty early like myself so, you must have missed the Pa. location. Yup, the screen name is misleading. Tom must be one of those transplants!

Tom,
Welcome to CCfan. Yes, we almost demand pictures!!

I know the ethanol can be a problem but I really wonder if it's used as a "catch all" excuse by many mechanics. Yes, it doesn't store well over long periods of time but, to date, I've never had an issue with it. Several years ago, I switched to the marine formula for ethanol by Stabil. Ether it's the green dye they use or the word "marine" that makes it so expensive but, as mentioned, so far so good!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 3:31pm
Thanks for the tip about Marine Ethanol Treatment. Found the same thing AFTER I bought the Lucas Ethanol treatment. Will switch to the Marine mix once I use up the Lucas.

I did post some pictures but received a notification that the picts must be approved before they become available for all to view. I will be notified as soon as they are available for viewing.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 3:45pm
Ethanol is a joke, imo. Big problem with it is that the alcohol separates from the gasoline at about 3 months, give or take. Once it separates, it bonds readily with water in the tank. Then you've got problems. Do a little reading on phase separation. And no, there's no magic additive that can prevent it, not even the green colored stuff. There's also the fact that it's corrosive to older fuel system parts that are not specifically made to handle it. Plus, it's got less stored energy than regular gasoline. Now, my father in law and I have a running dispute as to whether or not i'm wasting my time, but he did just have to get the fuel lines redone on his fishing boat . Sorry you austin guys, boat's sitting out in east texas and i've got a source in carthage. They're very cool--they take my 5 gal gas cans out of the suburban and fill them for me. Nothing like good service to keep you coming back.

Is this your problem? maybe, maybe not. I agree that it's an easy answer or excuse to just say "oh, it's the ethanol". My thinking is that if you're constantly running the boat, the ethanol is probably not a big deal so long as you upgrade the fuel system to handle it, as there's no time for phase separation to occur. Leave the boat for long periods--that's where the problems start. But that's not just an ethanol issue, either.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 4:05pm
...those who have fallen and those who will.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Tom, First of all welcome to CCFan and be sure to fill out a diaries page and get some pics posted of your boat. We love Pics! Haven't seen too many 89 Sports running round here so it would be cool to see her.

As far as the Ethanol usage, did you put Ethanol treatment in the tank before you winterized her? If not then there is probably your culprit. Also have you changed the fuel supply line to one that doesn't break down from the ethanol? That could be the culprit as well. It's a pretty simple task and can be done in a couple hours from start to finish. I just replaced mine this spring as I got a email regarding fuel line breakdowns. I've not had any issues with using ethanol blended fuels (knock Knock)but I won't let the boat sit for more than a month w/o running her either.( +1 for living in the south). Rebuilding a Carb yourself isn't that hard if you have any mechanical abilities. Get a rebuild kit, change out the fuel line and you should be good to go. Again welcome to CCFan!

Tim:

FYI, SN206's list of ethanol-free stations shows 3 in Jackson.

Hope you're healing well, let me know when you can go to Oconee.

Jeff

Here's the Link I posted on it this spring.

Examine your Fuel Line
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 5:58am
Hearing so many others that have not had Ethanol troubles I tend to think the high humidity here on the coast makes us more sensitive to the ethanol. All of my vehicles with tanks vented to the atmosphere suffer but now the startron additive helps.

Untreated ~ phase separation.

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 9:38am
Thanks for the info. I have found a "GASOLINE SUPPLIER" now. It is 30 miles out of my way (60 Total) but filled up last night for the first time. Going out today for some ski & tubing. Carb has been rebuilt & all is GOOD!     [:)]
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 9:54am
To all that replied thanks for the in put. All is well & I found a "GASOLINE STATION". Have posted pictures for all to see. Thanks for all of your help!
texastom
myerin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 2:21pm
Try using Star Brite ethanol enzyme treatment. We switched from stabil marine to it in our shop and it makes a huge difference. I gave away three cases of to get the locals input and so far so good. Of ourse buying ethanol free is always best.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic