Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leeky 1:23:1 Transmision

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
grant_west View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leeky 1:23:1 Transmision
    Posted: June-15-2012 at 2:04pm
I was advised to come on over here and get doe advise from Eric about my
Transmission Wo's. So b4 I dove into this problem I did some looking around and found some usefull tips on leaky transmissions. I Thought I had traced the leek to the front main seal. So I removed the transmission and put a new from seal in. The shaft was in good condition and I took some 600.800.1000 and polished it and it looks like new. The area around the cover that holds the seal looked very wet so I was pretty confident tht the seal was the culprit. I cleaned the bildge and re installed the transmission and it looks like I have the leek back. I haven't even run the boat and I have a few drops. It feels like the leek is Comming from where the front section of the transmission bolts to the next section of the transmission. I can see a gasket between the 2 sections of transmission and I keep cleaning the trany and then trying to feel where the wet spot is under the trany. The wet area keeps comming up where the 2 sections meet. Is replacing is gasket a big deal or should I go for it? Would this be a good time to rebuild the trany ect. The boat is a 2002 Air. With around 320 hrs on it. It has the PCM 123.1 trany
Thank You
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:10am
Eric will be along but not as often these days. I remember something about a worn pump pushing out seals, but wait for him.

Is it 'leaky' or 'leeky'?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 9:59am
i would probably just do a re-seal on it, its not bad putting a front cover gasket on, the drain plug is also in that area, change the gaskets and seals and fill it with oil and set it on the bench over night
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 5:03pm
Looks like I have traced the leak to the Drain Plug. Before pulling it out I checked to see if it was loose by trying to tighten it. It felt tight and didnt feel like it it could or should go any tighter. After taking it in and out a few times it went in a turns more. Didn't know it the drain plug should bottom out. Any ideas on some types of thread sealers like teflon tape
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 6:43pm
Grant,
The plug is a NPT thread. IE: tapered so, it gets tighter the more you crank it in. Yes on the Teflon!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 10:06pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 10:26pm
Thanks for the advise

So you can see in my last Pic, that my drain plug looks to be some what stuck out or "Not flush" I took it out and checked the treads and they were great. I threaded it back in and it went in a-bit further. Then I took it out and applyed Teflon tape and it went in quite a bit further till it seemd to snug down. I put fluid back in it and now im gonna let it sit for a week and see if I have any leaks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic