Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder broken off

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DFoster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DFoster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder broken off
    Posted: June-18-2012 at 12:02am
Crap!

Well, I was at a new lake and when backing off the ramp I drifrted down wind and backed over a rock. Loud thud and when I pulled the boat out the rudder was gone. Found it next to a big rock.

It looks like I sheared it off right at the shaft. Rudder looks fine, but shaft is gone. Anybody know if you can drill out and replace the shaft? Who would do that in the MA or New England area? Need to take a ding out if the prop as well.

Vary expensive Fathers Day for me
Proud owner of my first Nautique! A 2004 SV-211. Always looking for "extra ballst" for wakeboarding or surfing ;-)
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 12:18am
I guess I should not complain about the rain today. Sorry to ere about your misfortune.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 10:06am
Doug,
Sorry but you are going to need a new rudder. There's no way to really pin the old shaft back on the old rudder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DFoster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DFoster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 12:00pm
ok, so two more questions.
1. What rudder do I need? Can I get a "referbished"? Or anything like that?
2. I also dinged the prop, is there a recommended prop shop near worcester, MA or Boston?

Crap... there goes my budget for the extra fat sacs :-(
Proud owner of my first Nautique! A 2004 SV-211. Always looking for "extra ballst" for wakeboarding or surfing ;-)
DFoster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DFoster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 12:12pm
Oh, boat is a 2004 SV211 Team Edition with the ZR6 motor. I "think" it has the team prop on it, but if I need a new prop is there a recommendation?

I do some free ski, but mostly wakeboard and hope to add some additional ballast for surfing.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 12:53pm
Doug, sorry to hear that.

I checked on Nautiqueparts and those rudders are pretty pricey. I almost don't want to paste the link....:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/rudderwithtrimtab.aspx

As for your prop, do you have an ACME? You most likely do given the era of boat. I would check about sending it off to Delta Propeller or directly to ACME.

It would be worth checking MacCullum's for prices on the rudder as well.
jdlang22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdlang22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2014 at 10:15pm
My prop broke off while making a sharp turn.... Any leads on a cheap new one?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2014 at 10:33pm
Site sponsor Delta prop.

Not sure how you could have broken your propeller from turning?
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 2:11am
Hey Doug,
Sorry about your rudder......
I had a 27a but it went to NE, and I don't think it would have worked for your boat.
What lake had you ventured to?
Let me know if I can help as I'm close by,or I can come drag you around behind my POSH till yours gets fixed!
Hi to the family!
John
Old school goin back to school!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 7:38am
Originally posted by jdlang22 jdlang22 wrote:

My prop broke off while making a sharp turn.... Any leads on a cheap new one?

What broke off? A blade or shaft? Pictures are great as well as more detail.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 2:43pm
As an aside doesn't the giant rudder cast directly with a shaft like that seem like a weak design? Seems like a lot of surface area to be handled with what is a really abrupt transition from rudder to shaft in the same casting.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

DFoster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DFoster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 3:37pm
Well, the design is set up so that the rudder breaks away from the shaft. The design goal is that when you slam the rudder into something, if the impact is large enough to do damage, it should snap the rudder off the shaft. The result is that the shaft is left in place and keeps the seal (no sinking) and prevents damage to the hull.

While I hate that I had to buy a new rudder, it was much better than cracking the hull and taking on water.
jdlang22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdlang22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 4:38pm
I mispoke. My Rudder broke off while making a sharp turn. Unless I hit something and it was cracked.
jdlang22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdlang22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 4:40pm
I have recently changed the tele flex cable. Any chance improper installation could cause the rudder to break. I used to make a lot tighter turns more often before the new cable.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 4:59pm
Jared - What model boat do you have? The 2001 uses a unique cable that is only available from the CC Dealer. It has a longer throw than the generic ones.

I don't see how you could break a rudder with the generic cable though.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jdlang22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdlang22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 5:11pm
I have 1975 Correct Craft Mustang 16 foot. The tele flex cable I order may have been a foot to long, but I don't think that makes a difference the throw does seem to be a little longer on one side than the other but that should only put less pressure on the rudder. It definitely doesn't turn as sharp as it did orignially. /var/folders/6r/6703k7_s3qx2tjwzp32j7mfh0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_5318.jpeg
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 6:48pm
Unless some aspect of the cable to rudder fastening was lose?

If all of a sudden the rudder was allowed to flop to full left, 90 degrees at speed, that would put a whole ton of force on the rudder. Wouldn't think that would break it... but maybe if the rudder arm then smacked into the transom or a stringer or something because the cable wasn't holding it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic