NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on new slalom ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on new slalom ski
    Posted: August-10-2012 at 8:14pm
I actually haven't had a "fall" technically in a long, long time but on the big ones which might come once a year, yes. I'm out totally 100%.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Andy mapple uses a rtp, Alan... What kind of skiing would you say he does?

So do Will Asher, Nate Smith, Thomas Degaspari, Corey Humburg, etc. (to bring it up a couple decades). FWIW I always come out of the ski completely with my RTP setup.

Joel you come out of your front binding on a regular basis??? Quinner also, I just find that pretty odd but only because I've never come out of either.

there's no right or wrong on this one, it comes down to personal preference but I don't want my knees or ankles jeapordized and I feel more comfortable/secure in double boots.

That's all, I'm going tubing.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:22pm
I used to be a double boot skier also and it allowed me to get buoys I probably should have, completely out of control. The falls were spectacular.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:19pm
Alan, I used to be a double boot guy also, went to RTP about 7 yrs ago and never looked back. Had my share of massive wipe outs over the years and one that injured me was in the dbl boot and front came out rear stayed in, twisted me up pretty good.

Without question one foot in starts will get you up faster and easier, I need to start doing them again myself, lol, still starting 2 feet in with rtp, can't break the habit.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:18pm
A fall is a fall, I don't think anyone chooses their back binding based on an anticipated fall. The back foot shouldn't be doing too much anyway, a rear boot is a band-aid if you can't keep it in a fruit loop. Every see a one legged slalom skier? Some are pretty dang good!

I haven't rounded a buoy in a few years, these are just my opinions. Ski however you feel comfortable, keep the tubes on the beach!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Andy Mapple doesn't fall like I do   

Actually, last weekend my brother did highlight the one possible short coming of the RTP.

He managed to get himself into some kind of high speed log roll about 45 seconds after getting up. I couldn't really see it driving, but apparently his back foot came out and he kept spinning and the ski didn't. The front boot is pretty solid and didn't release his foot right away.

Of course, he spend the rest of the weekend with his foot elevated, while calling for beers. And, also bailed on a furniture shopping trip he was supposed to do with his wife. So, the "accident" is a little suspect.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:14pm

So do Will Asher, Nate Smith, Thomas Degaspari, Corey Humburg, etc. (to bring it up a couple decades). FWIW I always come out of the ski completely with my RTP setup.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:00pm

Andy Mapple doesn't fall like I do   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 6:42pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 6:33pm
Guess my comment about 2 feet in is referring to doing some aggressive skiing, if your trying to keep your hair dry then maybe a rear toe plate is ok after all.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 5:56pm
I can do a slalom run with dry hair doing a foot drag deepwater start, no matter how slow the pull out. Put the time into it, trust your core, your body will figure it out and you'll see for yourself. This is a must if you are taxing the boat (multiple skiers) or starting in 1-2' of water.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Also, as Quinner said, it's sometimes easier to start one foot out.

Sometimes? All the time!

This might warrant a second thread, but I'd be curious to hear takes on the different techniques. I feel like I pop up easier with one foot out, and a carefully timed leg sweep of my drag foot. I feel with two feet in, I'm more stable but it's a harder drag.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Sometimes? All the time!

Be careful getting too aggressive of a ski expecting to grow right in to it, it will actually retard your progression. Nothing wrong with flipping skis as you get better, if you're not buying off the shelf you won't lose too much and you'll be having much more fun.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 5:37pm
Surprised at the rear toe plate comments. Agreed it is probably easier to get out of the water with one foot out but I would never want to take a big crash and have the rear foot come out while the front is secured. I have always skied with full boots front and rear, Just makes me queasy thinking about what could go wrong in a bad fall.
TLOWE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TLOWE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 5:15pm
Agreed. Check out The House of Boards. they have a good selection of slalom skis. They also give you binding choices as well on the same skis. Connelly does have good bindings IMO. I like the adjustable rear toe plate. It accomodates different foot sizes instead of the standard L or XL. Look for ART. Free shipping right now and a free tow rope.
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 2:50am
I also agree,
The rear toe plate is better if you get off balance comming around the corner!
You can use your heal to help keep your balance if you get squarely !
I like connelly's bindings
They are very easy to get into and out of!!
Who wants to spend all that energy getting a ski off after a exhausting slalom run?
And I would buy a ski above your skill level so when you get better you won't need to upgrade
It will also help you get better more rapidly!
Good luck these suggestions helped!
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 12:18am
Thanks for the tips on the double boots vs toe plate! That definitely helps a lot. I was really debating that part back and forth in my head the last few days!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 2:19pm
I agree on not getting the double boot. The rear toe plate (rather than the boot) gives you more flexibility.

I sometimes teach people to slalom ski by using my ski in tandem with an old wooden drop ski that we've painted yellow, to see it in the water. That way, when they drop the other ski, they are riding on a good slalom ski instead of part of a combo set.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 1:22pm
What CBass said for sure.
You want to try a 68" or 69" ski, depending on the level of ski. Don't be afraid of an advanced ski, does not have to be the top dog in the lineup, one or two down the scale, depending on MFR. If you are good starting with 1 foot in, don't change, 2 feet in just drags you more on the start. I would also say don't bother with the double boots as it most likely won't make you a better skier. If buying new spend the bucks for a good binding, it can be used on another ski later if you change.

I would look at the closeout ski's also, could save you some big bucks.

If you are OK with used and know what you want, definitely look at the Ski-It-Again site.

Good Luck
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 12:43pm
ski it again.com
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 12:24pm
Lake Gage is up in Angola right? Go to "Ride the Wave" watersports shop, or if you're up for a little road trip, go visit Barts in North Webster. I'm sure both would let you try some skis on the water if you were serious about buying.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 10:18am
Check Overtons or Barts online. You don't necessarily need to buy from them but they should have a chart for your weight and ability. This may give you a starting point, Then shop around.

If your anywhere near a ski shop they should have a knowledgable staff and maybe a try before you buy policy.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:32pm
Hey guys. This is the 2nd summer I have been learning how to slalom ski. I started with an Obrien Performer set of combo skis that I used to slalom with the rear toe plate. I started by dropping one, then I got proficient at deep water starts by dragging a foot, but now I've started getting the deep water starts down with both feet in. So with that in mind, I think I'm ready to step up to an intermediate slalom ski.

The lake I ski on (Lake Gage in Indiana) does not have a slalom course, so I only free ski. However, I'd like to start honing some fundamentals over time so that I can start to learn how to ski the course on another lake. I ski right now at 30-32 MPH, 15 off. I'm 6'2", 190 lbs.

Any suggestions on a good intermediate ski?

Thanks for your time!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic