Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

reverse rotation?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mkingz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkingz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reverse rotation?
    Posted: August-09-2012 at 10:25pm
my 1979 martinque needs a new starter and i can't find any markings on motor (351W commander) about rotation. plug wires are off so please don't suggest that easy answer. it has a right hand prop so i belive it is reverse rotation (non regular automotive) starter. does anyone know for sure?

can't seem to post a picture using upload but it looks just like this one:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXE496&P=8 i know it's off a hobby site but it is the same as looking at mine from rear of boat.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 10:37pm
well does it have a 1:1 transmission??? a pic of the trans and engine would help. also. where is the timing indicator???? when your looking at the engine from front if its a left hand the little spike that shadows the balancer to show the timing will be on the right. if its right hand the little spike will be on the left.

Good Luck! also. could you post some pics of your boat?? i only have experience with 2nd and 3rd gen Martinique's. I have never seen a 1st gen in real life.

(we own a 3rd gen. they only made em' in 89. last year of production)
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
mkingz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkingz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 10:49pm
pointer is on right when looking at crankshft pulley (5-8 side of motor), reverse rotation?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:49pm
I believe the prop indicates all you need to proceed.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:18am
the prop DOES NOT! it could be a reverse rotation transmission. with the pointer on the right tht indicates its a left hand rotation engine. the common one luckily.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:26am
also. on the old starter or the fly wheel teeth look at how they worn. you can easily tell which way the starter spins by the way the teeth are worn.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:38am
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

the prop DOES NOT! it could be a reverse rotation transmission.

Not in a '79
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mkingz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkingz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 2:36am
here are the motor and v-drive pics:

does this help to confirm std or reverse rotation?
mkingz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkingz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 2:40am
1st gen martinque?

mkingz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkingz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 3:25am
found this post with the same question about a 79 SN. looks like same motor and tran as mine and seems like it is going to be a right hand starter (for a r/h motor and r/h prop).

any one want to confirm?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26902&KW=351+rotation&title=79-ski-nautique-ford-351-commander-wont-start
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:16am
Mike,
What's going on with the starter?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mkingz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkingz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:43pm
boat was out of water for 3 years and first line of business was to replace frozen starter. after that i checked compression (not great but good enough) so i changed fluids in motor & trans, new plugs and rebuilt carb. when the next step, starting it, didn't work i blamed "weak" spark and stared to research/troubleshoot that (even though the sparked seems -again- not great but good enough). while looking around for reasons this was not my fault i found the post i refered to yesterday about the 79 SN and i wondered if i'm trying to start the engine turning it backwards. i too bought my starter at the napa parts counter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:11pm
can we have a pic of the timing indicator??
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:23pm
pointer shmointer!

Just take off the distributer cap. If the rotor turns the wrong way, you have the wrong starter, period.

Ford oil pumps spin CCW, independant of engine rotation.

Being direct drive correct craft with BW and a rh prop should be all you need to know, but go through the exercise.

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by mkingz mkingz wrote:

i too bought my starter at the napa parts counter.

"Houston, we have a problem"

Well, you never commented on why you went looking for a new starter! Did you do any checking for things like volts getting to the starter or are you just throwing parts at the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

pointer shmointer!

Just take off the distributer cap. If the rotor turns the wrong way, you have the wrong starter, period.

Ford oil pumps spin CCW, independant of engine rotation.

Being direct drive correct craft with BW and a rh prop should be all you need to know, but go through the exercise.

Lol. 100% agree.

No need to turn this into a science project.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 8:23pm

Another holley 4010.

Hijack over.

OP,

The info you seek is in the 3 previous posts.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Another holley 4010.

Hijack over.

Where do you see a holley 4010??????

this is a holley 4010:

Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 12:17am
Originally posted by mkingz mkingz wrote:

found this post with the same question about a 79 SN. looks like same motor and tran as mine and seems like it is going to be a right hand starter (for a r/h motor and r/h prop).

any one want to confirm?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26902&KW=351+rotation&title=79-ski-nautique-ford-351-commander-wont-start

Velvet drive with a right hand prop will indicate points to a reverse rotation engine. Velvet Drives running in forward spin the same way as the engine. Velvet Drive and v drive are not the same terms. Velvet Drive is a borg warner transmission. A v-drive is a gear box that connects a rear facing rear mounted engine and transmission to the prop shaft. Long story short is if this was running around the way it sits you need a reverse rotation starter.Good Luck!
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 4:57am

Another holley 4010.

Hijack over.

Where do you see a holley 4010??????

this is a holley 4010:

Upon further inspection,   you are right.   did not look close enough I guess, but I am still not putting a deep cycle in my boat.

Thanks for including a picture, of a 4010.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 7:46pm

but I am still not putting a deep cycle in my boat.

oh. about that. after a 6 hour trip to NH the battery shifted forward from sitting against the silencer and i saw the start capacity. Its a 685 Cold Cranking Amp Battery. and CC's stupid battery cover says you only need a 360 CCA for a 351W and a 470 CCA for a 454 Big Block!!!! those numbers are way off.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 9:03pm

oh. about that. after a 6 hour trip to NH the battery shifted forward from sitting against the silencer and i saw the start capacity. Its a 685 Cold Cranking Amp Battery. and CC's stupid battery cover says you only need a 360 CCA for a 351W and a 470 CCA for a 454 Big Block!!!! those numbers are way off.

Put a shunt on the cable, crank the engine over, connect the meter before you open your mouth! Sorry but get some good amp readings first I would go by the OEM specs first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Put a shunt on the cable, crank the engine over, connect the meter before you open your mouth! Sorry but get some good amp readings first I would go by the OEM specs first.

Well, we stole the mini high torque starter off the Supra and put a new one on the Supra. The old plunger starter had a short and would do fine when cold. but after boating around for a while the heat from the engine was enough to prevent it from being able to turn the engine over. Because of hard starting the previous owner put in a freaking huge battery! volts only drop to 10.5 when starting and holds 11.5 volts after sitting all winter still hooked up. its nice to have a big bat. so we can listen to music and have the lights on for floating around at night and not having to worry about starting the boat. (we redid sound system and have a 1600 watt amp)
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic