Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1988 ski nautique 2001 stalling after long idle...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 ski nautique 2001 stalling after long idle...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautiquelover1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 ski nautique 2001 stalling after long idle...
    Posted: August-14-2012 at 3:10am
My beloved 1988 ski nautique 2001 has recently started acting up. I guess i should say its the holley carb as i believe thats what it is. After running for a while, when the boat is hot, i have problems keeping it going unless im running it at a high speed. If i begin to idle around the lake or in the marina where its a no wake zone the boat begins to stall out which i believe is from the carb flooding. When idleing around or driving real slow just one click past neutral for about ten minutes or more the boat begins to stall put and i sometimes need to wait ten minutes or so before starting it up and going again. Also ive recently figured out how to fix my idle speed and had it tuned to 650rmp at one click past neutral but noticed that it has been jumping up throughout taking the boat out, has anyone experienced this problem. Id realllly like to know how to get the carb to stop flooding while im idleing and at very low speeds and also want to know why the idle is jumping up after i set it to where it should be. Pleaseeeee help

1988 ski nautique 2001.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 4:46am
hmmmm. well dont know if this is the same case as my uncles but:

my uncle has the families 87 Martinique. and about 12 years ago it began to have an idle problem. it would idle any where from 500 to 1800 rpm.(mostly around the 1600-1800 rang) no matter what we did we couldnt get it right. and it was used for a long time like that. until he finally sent it to my other uncle who rebuilds carbs. turns out the the primary butterfly rod broke! allowing the right butterfly to do what ever the hell it wanted. so he had to take a part a non working holley in order to fix it as you cant order those parts because they aren't supposed to break!

so this could be the cause of idle up issue. get a screw driver and push on each butterfly and see if one moves. if it does this is the cause of idle up issue.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 5:29am
Ive heard it could be the needle and the seat. Can these be bought at an automotive store or can i adjusmy current ones. Im not very knowledgaboe with carbs but understand the basics. Also does ajyone know which holley carb is on a 1988 nautiue 2001. How hard is it to adjust the float? How hard is it to adjust/change the needle and seat. Where is the best place to go get a rebuild kit for my holley wituout ordering one and lastly is there any site with pictures or person who can walk me through this.

89martinique, im going to check the butterflys tomorow about the idle prohlem but mine only jumps up to abput 1000 or 1100 rmp

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 8:21am
You can get the rebuild kits at most auto part stores, but that does not mean you won't have to wait for it to arrive.

As for which carb, I am far from an expert, but if you get the numbers off, under the spark arrestor, that is what you will need to get what you want.   It'll probably be a Holley 4160. Which should get you started in the right direction.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 8:58am
Needle and seat should come in the kit. Just replace them, they do go bad and often catch small particles.

careful adjusting the float, the directions you get, if you do, will most likely be for an auto carb. The marine carb sits at an angle and needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Google 4160, grab a coffee and get acquainted with your carb before you start.

Change your fuel filter too.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 9:02pm
Before you throw parts at this problem, you need to confirm what exactly is happening. While your diagnosis could be correct, and you aren't going to hurt anything by rebuilding the carb, you really don't know.   What you have described could also be an ignition problem.

To check the carb:   
Take the spark arrestor off, and watch down the throat of the carb to see if there is fuel dripping into the throat.   If there is, shut the boat down and see if the dripping continues.   If this is what is happening, then you have diagnosed the problem correctly, and you need to rebuild the carb.   If not, do a little more trouble shooting.   A carb rebuild won't hurt anything, but it's frustrating to spend money and on the water time just replacing parts when that isn't the issue.   I agree with OOW, get familiar before you start pulling it off.   You'll need two base gaskets btw & Skidim has the rebuild kits, as do other places.   be careful not to read too much about automotive carbs, there are some differences, like adjusting the floats.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 10:15pm
I have found it best not to assume anything-start with the fuel filters,how long have they been in the boat?Take the carb off and check the needle seat-the ethanol fuel has eaten two sets on me in two summers.Get a rebuild kit from ski-dim-Take your time- rebuilding a holley carb is not rocket science,clean out the bowls blow out the orifices in the metering block-set the floats,and reassemble-good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Lakeview Lakeview wrote:

has eaten two sets on me in two summers.Get a rebuild kit from ski-dim

Jim,
If you have gone through two sets in two years and they came from Skidim, why not try a different kit? I've mentioned it before that Dayton Parts make their own kits but the key is their needle and seat material plus the design.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 10:58pm
Below
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 11:09pm
The fuel filter has been on there since i bought the boat not sure how long it has been on before i bought it, this is the second summer i have owned it. Could the filter be the reason it stalls out after prolonged idle/ slow going. When it stalls out while idleing or trolling around i have taken the spark arrestor off and there is nothing dripping nor does it look like any of the 4 barrels are wet or full of fuel. Could it still be the needle and seat, ive herd they can get clogged up. if it is an ignition problem, what kind of ignition problem could it be. Does anyone know of a good holley diagram where i can see where the needle and seat are located? What is your take on all of this mr. Brainard?
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 11:10pm
Pete-Just found out about the Dayton kits after my last install-Thanks for the heads up
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 11:26pm
Would the use of regular gasoline as opposed to premium have anything to do with this? If so could i add octane booster to improve?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 12:50am
i doubt octane would have anything to do with this. but ethanol is an enemy. that stuff is evil to any engine. new or old. get a good ethanol treatment but DO NOT USE SEAFOAM! any thing but evil stuff. its worse than ethanol to an engine.

oh boy looks like a nice storm is rolling through. better unplug the computer. :/
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:13am
When it stalls out, you can determine if it is too much fuel (gas smell), not enough fuel (pour a little down carb & try to start), or ignition (pull a plug wire & test for spark).

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:21am
Im pretty sure its not the ignition. Its got a brand new coil and fires up no problem everytime hot or cold except for after idleing/trolling around when it stalls. At this point i think im going to get a new fuel filter first and if that doesnt solve it im going to try ro replace the needle and seat in the carb.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 8:13am
Have you tried to adjust the mixture screws? Idling at 1000 is bypassing the metering block.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 9:09am
Originally posted by nautiquelover1988 nautiquelover1988 wrote:

Would the use of regular gasoline as opposed to premium have anything to do with this? If so could i add octane booster to improve?

Braedon,
No and no again! Octane has nothing to do with an engine idling properly or stalling. Higher grades of fuel prevent pre ignition. I suggest you do some on line reading before you waste money especially on an octane booster.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
river ratt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote river ratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 3:32am
could be fuel i was having issues with my 2001 . i replaced points cap codenser acc pump re timed per the book and still had a funny idle .. could not get a consistant idle or a good hole shot. put a can of sea foam in the 3/4 tank and seemed to clear up the chugg and wobble in the idle . idk but gas seems to have been a problem for lots of boaters lately. blockage/ stalling / goofy idle . worth a try b4 u start throwing parts at it like i did
dont slip on the glass
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 3:16pm

if it is an ignition problem, what kind of ignition problem could it be.

I was thinking coil overheating, but it sounds like you may have addressed that?   if you got an oil filled coil, then it could still be a problem, since the coil position is horizontal on our boats.   several guys have gone to an epoxy filled to cure the problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 10:31pm
send the carb off to be rebuilt by a mechanic or send it to a aftermarket place so they can modify it to make it work even better! one popular one is Jet Performance. but Dont Use seafoam. that will just ruin your engine.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 1:53am
Its funny you say that, my coil although is brand new, gets extrenelyyyyy hot. Cld that really have something to do with it stalling out while im ideling/ going back and forth from neutral to a slow troll.. everytime it happens i look in the carb and there is no dripping or excess gas. I replaced the needles and seats in the primary and secondary yesterday and still had lots of trouble today where it wld stall out and i wld have to wait 10-15 minutes before it wld start back up. But sometimes when it starts back up its all good and goes again and other times it bogs down.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 12:24pm

Its funny you say that, my coil although is brand new, gets extrenelyyyyy hot. Cld that really have something to do with it stalling out while im ideling...

It sounds like you are getting warm

Yeah, the coil should not be getting that hot.

Some of it may be because the coil (in some cases) should be getting it's ignition feed from the resisted side of the ballast resister. In other words, not full voltage.

The wiring depends on your overall ignition set up, which distributor you are using etc.
bchopkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 3:29am
Hey nautiquelover1988, looks like I"m long overdue to chime in on this, but I found this thread when searching for some answers to this exact same problem that I'm having. I have a 1980 17' Nautique with a Ford 351, Holley carb and it's doing the exact same thing yours was, stalling at low revs/slow speeds, very problematic when docking and it tight quarters. Were you able to get it fixed?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic