Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1970 Skier And 1970 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautique78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Skier And 1970 Mustang
    Posted: November-14-2012 at 6:48pm
I have both a 1970 Skier and a 1970 Mustang that I purchased this year. Both boats are in need of restoration. The Skier has good stringers, but it has no foam in the hull. The Mustang has foam in the hull in several spots as well as a fiberglass floor like you find in a late 70's Correct Craft. Both boats seem to be mostly original even though the Mustang is missing many parts. I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what the floor system was like in 1970, if the any of the models in 1970 had foam in the hull, and if anyone has good pictures of the interiors on both models including pictures of a 318 motor and a slant six.
nautique78

56Hot Rod Special
70Mustang
70Skier
76Tique
78Nautique
79Nautique
92Nautique
98Nautique
Towbosssupreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Towbosssupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2012 at 10:14pm
I have some photos of the 1970 floor system . Send me an e-mail @ abctowing29574@bellsouth.net
Tow Boss Supreme 71 Separator(sold) 70 Barracuda ,80 S.N ,88 Barefoot Nautique 78 American Skier 78 Martinique 77 Fish.N 67 Skylark 69 Baracuda 70 S.N. 73 Mustang,65 Century Coronado H.T 70 Century Corona

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2012 at 11:40pm
martymenge@hotmail.com
nautique78

56Hot Rod Special
70Mustang
70Skier
76Tique
78Nautique
79Nautique
92Nautique
98Nautique
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 3:05am
Diaries section and reference is a great place too look. My 1968 had a fiberglass floor, but the previous owner covered it in some 1980's crap carpet. both are pretty damn near original in terms of what was in them.

Most of us have a ton of knowledge so don't be afraid to ask questions!
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 1:56pm
Come on now Marty, you gotta post some pics of your girls to see ours! Not sure I've seen your mustang yet? Any chance it was the painted stang owned by David Spaw?

Here's the best pic I have of my 70 Skier's floor opened up. Overall, this boat is really solid most likely due to no foam. Pretty basic with the primaries and secondaries but note the cross members don't actually connect to the hull side or hull bottom.

Another difference I've seen with this boat is the drains under the stringers. With no foam, CC made drains under the stringers at the transom since the bilge drain is back there as well. Not great for keeping props in perfect shape but easily drains when stored like this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 5:36pm
Hey Chris the Mustang is the boat Dave Spaw owned. My dad was good friends with the orginal owner, second owner, and Dave Spaw. The second owner actually painted the boat navy blue with a white deck. The original color of the Mustang was a olive hull and a creme deck. I will post some current pictures of the Skier and Mustang in the shop at the Marina. I have already posted several pictures of the Skier last spring and early summer. The Mustang is in pretty rough shape and most of the parts are missing. Basiclly all I have is the hull, motor, and tranny.

One of my main questions from my previous post is if Correct Crafts from 1970 ever had foam in the floor from the factory? The mustang has foam in the floor and very yet! The Skier has no evidence of ever having foam in the floor and the Skiers stringers are near perfect. I plan to remove the foam in the Mustang this weekend, but if it is factory foam I want to take some pictures so if I ever restore the Mustang I can spray the foam in the same places as the foam currently is sprayed.

Thanks

Marty
nautique78

56Hot Rod Special
70Mustang
70Skier
76Tique
78Nautique
79Nautique
92Nautique
98Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 5:51pm
Yes, foam was available, starting sometime around '65. It was technically optional for a few years... and the reason it wasnt in most of the Skiers is because those were price point boats with fewer options. I cant recall ever seeing a Mustang built after 1966 that didnt come foamed from the factory. Based on the pictures above, Id say the stringer configuration did not vary between foamed and unfoamed boats.

When rebuilding, I would take steps to modify the stringer layout such that the exhaust cavities need not be foamed in (which CC did through '72). This would probably require some additional supports to frame the exhaust pockets, similar to the newer (73+) boats.

My '70, still rocking the original foamed in exhaust and everything:

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 6:09pm
WHy are you going to re-foam? You seem like a competent boat guy, i wouldn't worry about the foam.....
1970 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 6:31pm
As far as re-foaming the Mustang goes I doubt I will ever put foam back in the boat. I was mainly just wondering if anyone had facts on if foam was ever installed at the factory in 1970.
nautique78

56Hot Rod Special
70Mustang
70Skier
76Tique
78Nautique
79Nautique
92Nautique
98Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2012 at 6:35pm
That's a nice view! I always wondered what happened to that Stang. Didn't it set by the gas station in Delhi for a number of years? You're very ambitious if you decide to take on that project. Like you said, I thought it was pretty far gone and incomplete to make a good restoration candidate.

What's the plan for your Skier? Did the slant6 make it back in the boat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 1:27am
I'm looking for a original exhaust manifold for 1970 Skier. The slant 6 in my Skier has an after market manifold I would like to replace with a factory manifold.

Thanks
nautique78

56Hot Rod Special
70Mustang
70Skier
76Tique
78Nautique
79Nautique
92Nautique
98Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 3:43pm
I assume you have a buick super sabre engine?

Keep a look out on who buys this boat....

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/3638160926.html

Pretty damn sure that boat has a super sabre buick.
1970 Mustang
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 3:45pm
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 3:57pm
He has the Slant 6 Chrysler so the Buick manifold won't work.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

He has the Slant 6 Chrysler so the Buick manifold won't work.

That makes sense, isn't there a website that sells newcast manifolds?

no sure if a slant 6 chrysler is there or not.
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic