Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Masterline ProLock Water Ski Gloves

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masterline ProLock Water Ski Gloves
    Posted: December-16-2012 at 9:42am
I am interested in comments on Masterline ProLock Water Ski Gloves, particularly the dowel. Does it do anything more than shape the grip? Does it really help? Is it worth it? Thanks.

Jim
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2012 at 5:22pm
They seem to get good reviews on Waterskis.com.

I assume they'd let you let go of the rope quickly when needed?

Curious about them as well.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2012 at 7:11pm
The dowels lock handle in your hands. The straps transfer good portion of load to your wrists. Clinchers were better.... these are too strappy, but a great product.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2012 at 9:33pm
Worth it for what? What are you tryng to achieve?

For a serious water skiier, no. You need to improve your grip.

For me, after back surgery, when I could barely hold on to a rope, much less pull my big butt out of the water, they were great. For a woman I know who has a crippling condition in her hands, she could not ski without them. For those who have let themselves put on enough lbs that they can no longer hold onto the rope coming out of the water, they work great.

But for folks that are fairly healthy, I think they are a crutch, build bad habits, and don't help you to build your own natural strength.

My $.02. Your mileage may vary.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 3:52am
Humm, I use them for slalom only... they prove useful on days skiing a lot of sets. I've never got a callus while using them. I wouldn't even consider them for a non-serious skier. I don't know how much they would help just getting out of water... maybe?

If you get bad calluses or your fingers hurt after hard day skiing, try them out.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 9:20pm
Check ballofspray.com. Lots of very good course skiers use them including a few pro's. Most prefer the Clinchers or the Radar Vice gloves to the Masterline Pro locks because they hold up better and/or are more comfortable. Even Goode has a set of these gloves attached to their Powervest system ($590) but I don't think they sell the gloves separately.

Bottom line... Yes they work by transferring some of the load to your wrists, yes you can let go when you want to, and yes they can help with grip fatigue. Grip strength and endurance are two completely different things. My grip is really good but after 3-4 passes through the course, I can tell that my grip is getting tired. I personally don't use them because they feel funky to me but I haven't written them off yet. If the gloves allow you to ski longer and harder, I wouldn't call them a crutch. Calling those gloves a crutch is like calling someone who runs a marathon with a knee brace a wuss IMO.

I do agree with bkhallpass to a point though. A beginner skier or wakeboarder should not need these.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 10:23pm
This sure brings back some memories!! I actually helped design that glove. A good friend of mine Peter Rietz approached me back in the early 70's. Back then, he was Wisconsin State champ for several years and he wanted to design a glove that would grip the handle as well as transmit some of the strain above the wrist. His wife sewed the glove and I experimented with the "rod" material. I remember I used at least 5 different durometers of polyurethane solid rod stock. We ended up with some pretty rigid rod stock. I believe Peter after coming up with a final design, sold the manufacturing rights.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 10:43pm
So when will your line of competition tubing gloves come out Pete?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 10:29am
How does the strap on the ProLock or other gloves work? Does it wrap around the handle? Does the dowel simply hook over the handle? Are the straps attached or secured at both ends?
Jim
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 1:46pm
The dowel is just at the end of your fingertips. It works because the strap is attached at the fingertips and the wrist. The strap is slightly shorter than the length of your hand so when the gloves is under pressure the strap pulls your fingers closed around the handle. That alone doesn't do everything so the dowel is there to add as a slight hook.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 5:15pm
I noticed watching the olympic gymnastics uneven/highbars... they use a very similar glove.

Again, If you can find a pair of "Clinchers" in stock somewhere get those.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic