Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new speedo - existing pitots etc??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new speedo - existing pitots etc??
    Posted: December-25-2012 at 11:45pm
hi all and a merry christmas,

replacing guages on my 2001 SAN. any issue with using the existing pitot/pickups for the new speedo? also, would it be possible or even beneficial to use the two existing pitots for one guage? the guage is a standard faria analouge.

thanks,

d.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 1:44am
One gauge per speedometer. Why would you want to use two pitots for one speedo? Besides, it won't work. Your speedometer would read twice the pressure, meaning roughly twice the actual speed (10 MPH would read 20 MPH).
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 8:42am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

One gauge per speedometer. Why would you want to use two pitots for one speedo? Besides, it won't work. Your speedometer would read twice the pressure, meaning roughly twice the actual speed (10 MPH would read 20 MPH).

I agree that one pitot per speedo. Try the existing pitot before putting on a new one = I feel it will work.

Regarding the pressure and it doubling with two pitots, no, it will not. You can't get twice the pressure from the base pressure. Kevin,
You need to go back and take some more physics/engineering classes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 11:55am
I put Farias in my '80 with the original pitots and they work just fine One pitot per speedo.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 12:35pm
Are you certain that the "standard Faria analog" speedo you have is in fact analog? I realize it reads with a needle, but it may still be a digital gauge. I would imagine that its the typical replacement speedo that CC was installing in place of the faulty Teleflex ones ('00-02) but take a closer look.

CC was in fact putting 2 pitots on boats with only one speedo for several years (at least '00-03). I believe the speedo would always read the higher reading of the 2, so it acted just like the old dual-speedo set up in that regard.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Regarding the pressure and it doubling with two pitots, no, it will not. You can't get twice the pressure from the base pressure. Kevin,

Why not? If you have two pitots and use a Y-connector to put them into one line (what I assumed was being asked), each pitot is not going to "know" what is upstream. It will create a set amount of pressure when water flows into the device. They will each be swallowing water (which is not compressible) at the same rate and thus creating pressure in the air (which is compressible). I find it hard to believe that the Airguide gauges would not see the wrong pressure when being fed by two pressure-creating water pickup devices.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 3:00pm
Yes, the gauges will read wrong... but they will not read double (which was Pete's point).

Still moot, as I suspect the OP has a very different set up than the one being discussed. The digital gauge systems are not set up like Airguides with pressure lines running all the way to the dash.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 3:11pm
OK, to be honest I would be surprised if it did read exactly double. I thought that when typing my original response, but figured this was more of a "horseshoes and hand grenades" type of thing. I retract my earlier statement and revise it to say, "That would mess up your gauge." I don't know anything about the digital gauge systems. When did CC switch to digital speedometer systems?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 4:25pm
Believe 00' was the first year for digital gauges. The 03'+ (maybe even 02' for the SN) has a gateway box (circuit board) in the trunk, which is as far as the pitots run, would assume that is converted to a digital signal from there to the dash. The 00'-02' may be the same/similar.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 8:12pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why not? If you have two pitots and use a Y-connector to put them into one line (what I assumed was being asked), each pitot is not going to "know" what is upstream. It will create a set amount of pressure when water flows into the device. They will each be swallowing water (which is not compressible) at the same rate and thus creating pressure in the air (which is compressible). I find it hard to believe that the Airguide gauges would not see the wrong pressure when being fed by two pressure-creating water pickup devices.

Kevin,
If the pressure isn't there to begin with, you can't magically develop the pressure.

BTW, if you have water all the way up to the gauge, you have a leak in the pitot system or the gauge itself.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 11:42pm
I'm trying to explain this plainly. Pitots work by measuring pressure, in my business they measure a pressure differential using a pitot-static device. On an aircraft the pitot provides pressure from air being forced into the pitot and then a separate static port reads pressure of the static (uh - natural) air pressure. The difference in static (side) and pitot (front) pressure is used to measure speed.

On a boat the idea is much more simple. The water enters the pitot tube and starts to go up the line. Not very far, but it does. This compresses the air in the system and the Airguide reads this pressure as speed.

As usual, Wikipedia has a decent and simple explanation: Pitot tube

Yes, if water dribbles on your legs while driving you have a leak. Good reminder.
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 11:46pm
Thanks all,

I haven't looked closely but i believe that both lines (from both pitots) run into a box behind the engine. The current digital guage is fed from that box. The new guage comes with a long line/tube and its own pitot. I guess my plan is to disconnect one line, hence one pitot, and use it to feed the new guage by joining the new tube to this one and running it all the way to the dash. I'll leave the other tube where it is. Joining two lines/pitots via a Y connector is a no go it seems. Thought this might be of use when going around corners etc.

Cheers and happy new year!

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 9:38am

I'm trying to explain this plainly. Pitots work by measuring pressure, in my business they measure a pressure differential using a pitot-static device. On an aircraft the pitot provides pressure from air being forced into the pitot and then a separate static port reads pressure of the static (uh - natural) air pressure. The difference in static (side) and pitot (front) pressure is used to measure speed.

Answering "plainly", it may be beneficial to explain the reason aircraft need to read a differential pressure and what happens to air pressure at different altitudes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic