Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 water pump pulley alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 water pump pulley alignment
    Posted: January-22-2013 at 2:08am
Assembly of the pulleys tonight on my BFN and I notice the RWP pulley is not aligned with the crank pulley. Aprox. 1/4 inch miss aligned. (The RWP needs to move toward the front of the boat)The bracket is bolted up to the block with no spacers. I have a bushing that I cannot remember where it was installed and wonder if it was used for a spacer? Bushing size is 1 inch OD X 1/2 inch ID X 3/8 inch length. See pic below.
Thanks.......Tom
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 6:18am
I have a spacer behind where the lower alternaror bracket bolts to the block. It doesn't look like that though.

The trick is a moroso spacer kit. It's a hole pattern matched spacer that goes inside the pulley(they come in thicknesses). That'll fix you up.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 1:04am
Thanks Greg,
Yes 1/4 inch spacer behind the lower bolt lined it right up.
Thanks.......Tom
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 8:32am
Tom,
Don't forget about sheave parallelism. You may need spacers at all the mounts. A straight edge will tell. If not parallel, you'll be chewing up belts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 11:07am
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

Thanks Greg,
Yes 1/4 inch spacer behind the lower bolt lined it right up.

The lower bolt on the RWP bracket? Mine doesn't have one of those; of course it didn't have the moroso spacer from the factory either.

Check what Pete said to make sure it isn't out of whack(technical term). Belts can make a mess and send dust right into the carb.

Does anyone recognize that bushing?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 4:09pm
I did have some belt dust on the alternator side prior to teardown. And my alternator had a factory installed spacer behind one of the brackets. (that one I noted and replaced)
The RWP pulley had a spacer behing it. Very thin one though. Approx .030
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,
Don't forget about sheave parallelism. You may need spacers at all the mounts. A straight edge will tell. If not parallel, you'll be chewing up belts.

Pete, What steps do I go through to check for parallelism?

1.Straight edge on the face of the pulley and take measurements to a ref. point?
2. Rotate 90 degrees and repete step 1?
Or...... are the measurements to the other pulleys?
Thanks.......Tom
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 8:59am
Tom,
Since your sheave has an offset belt grove to it's face, you'll need to use a straight edge and a tape measure. Place the straight edge on the driven face and measure to the grove and then measure to the grove on the drive sheave. Measuring to both sides will tell you the alignment and the parallelism. Turning the sheave 90 degrees will only tell you if a sheave is bent.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 3:23pm
Thanks Pete,
I never thought of checking and adjusting for alignment and parallelism but it is pretty straight forward. Awsome
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:06am
I am embarrassed to report back that I had my RWP pulley and engine water pulley reversed. That is why the RWP pulley was offset .250 inch. Looking through my pictures I caught the mistake and was thrilled to know I would not have to do some shimming. I did follow through with Pete's suggestion on the straight edge inspection for alignment and parallelism and everything lined up nicely. Thanks
Thanks.......Tom
Alden8100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alden8100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,
Since your sheave has an offset belt grove to it's face, you'll need to use a straight edge and a tape measure. Place the straight edge on the driven face and measure to the grove and then measure to the grove on the drive sheave. Measuring to both sides will tell you the alignment and the parallelism. Turning the sheave 90 degrees will only tell you if a sheave is bent.

I'm totally agree with your ideas.You'r 100% good here that place the straight edge on the driven face and measure to the grove and then measure to the grove on the drive sheave.
I agreed what's said above!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic