NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering cable replacement on older boats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering cable replacement on older boats
    Posted: January-26-2013 at 8:12pm
JoeNY mentioned in another thread that old steering cables can break. I've just seen them gradually freeze up, but breaking would absolutely be dangerous, especially in a fast boat. On an older boat, how do you change them without tearing up the floor as they are tied together with the wiring and foamed into the boat? Has anyone changed theirs on an '80 and older boat?

We've left ours in our Cuda project because it steers so easily and appears in good condition, but it is 47 years old. I hate to replace something that appears perfectly good with something new that is not made nearly as well, but having to do it when the boat is back together may be a bit of a problem.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2013 at 9:21pm
I replaced the cable on my 66 Mustang about 4 years ago. The end that rides back and fourth in the helm broke. There's a heavy "spring" like part wound around the cable that the gears in the helm pull and push on. That spring broke in mine. Turning to the left was fine, turning to the right eventually got a catch to it about 3/4's the way. One day the cable broke. It was bunching up on itself turning to the right because the extra cable was trying to go out and the stiff spring was broke. There was a hairball or two of broken cable fiber everywhere in the helm. I pulled the new cable by taping it to the old one. The newer cables are different at the back where it attaches to the rudder arm and the support tube. The old cable threaded into the inside of the support tube and the new one threaded to the outside. The tube gives the cable a stationary point, without it, the cable would move away from the rudder arm instead of pushing it.

Tim D
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2013 at 10:57pm
Bruce I had the same concerns with mine,in the winter it would even freeze up so I knew something was wrong.Easiest job ever. I disconnected both ends and tied on a polyethylene rope to use as a puller.I had the panel out behind the motor box anyway so I suppose that helped too.It was not attached to anything and where it had passed thu the area that was foamed,CC had ran it and the wiring thru a "drier" vent hose first before foaming. I was already using the clevis kit that Tim shows above and you should really replace #2 in the lower picture of his,you do not get one with the new cable. Being 47 years old it will not seal as good and might let water get into the cable. It is Teleflex part # SA 37868p hard to find but they have them here. I would pull the cable first before I ordered a new one, the old has the length heat stamped into it on the casing.I was even able to do the job by myself,it was that easy.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2013 at 11:59pm
Gary,

Would it hurt the value of a rare 1980 Cypress Gardens, Bush Gardens, Orlando Cable Park and Sea World Boat to upgrade the cable?

Curious,

Donald
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 12:33am
Courious Donald,you would be best to find a Cypress Gardens, Bush Gardens, Orlando Cable Park and Sea World NOS one. I do believe they are a longer throw for turning sharper in smaller venues.Tommy Bartlet boats were different altogether so don't let anyone talk you into one of those
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 10:30am
It sounds like you guys' cables had been either replaced before or installed in a much better way from the factory. This cable is hung on the stringer with the wiring harness tied to it. I guess we should at least seperate the two so the cable can be pulled through.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic