Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 Dash Wire Disconnected

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 Dash Wire Disconnected
    Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:06pm
With my dash pod out of the boat I turned it over to inspect the harness and other connections. I replaced 2 breakers and checked all the wires and replaced the speedo bulbs. While doing the inspection I see that I have 2 disconected wires???

There is one black wire running from the ignition switch over to the area of the breakers that is disconected. I have no idea where it connects. The black wire is connected to the ignition terminal with 2 purple wires and 1 pink?

I also hace a very small resistor connected to the ignition breaker terminal that is not connected to anything on the other end?
Thanks.......Tom
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:11pm
Hour meter?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

With my dash pod out of the boat I replaced 2 breakers and checked all the wires and replaced the speedo bulbs. I have 2 disconected wires???

There is one black wire running from the ignition switch over to the area of the breakers that is disconected. I have no idea where it connects.

Are you sure it is black? It should be red. Unless someone has done some wiring of their own. Black typically signifies ground, and the ignition switch is not dealing with ground at all, it is just switching positive voltage.

Does your 88 have a separate push button ignition breaker and key? My 93 has that.

If it does have that seperate breaker, there should be a wire that carries switched voltage from the breaker (usually red) to the battery (input) side of the key switch.

The black wire is connected to the ignition terminal with 2 purple wires and 1 pink?

This black wire is really a red positive I'm guessing. Then, you should have one purple for iginition to the motor, and the other purple tends to go to gauges and accessories that are for key switched voltage. They both go to the IGN (Or on part of your circuit). The Pink must be your starter wire, cause that's all that's left.

I also have a very small resistor connected to the ignition breaker terminal that is not connected to anything on the other end?
This is one of two things. It might have something to do with the little red lights that indicate a breaker is on.

The other thing it could be is the Capacitor (I think it is called?) that deals with the Nav/Anchor lights. It's meant to be one way, so that when you switch on your navs, the anchor (stern) lights get power too. But, when you switch on your anchor lights individually, the front Nav light should Not get power.

I personally like the idea of having them just be separate anyway.

Of course, pics of what you're looking at will confirm.

One more question, was it like this before and was working like this?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Hour meter?

Oh yeah, good point. Didn't think of that option.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:36pm
Everything works...all gages. But when I turn on the nav lights I get significant drop in voltage and some of the gage needles start to do weird movement. I will post pics tonight.
Thanks.......Tom
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 3:20pm

Everything works...all gages. But when I turn on the nav lights I get significant drop in voltage and some of the gage needles start to do weird movement. I will post pics tonight.

FWIW, our 88 did the same thing. Gas gauge dropped along with oil pressure.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 4:02pm
The black wire is the feed to the ignition breakers LED indicator, it doesn't come off the breaker like all the other ones do.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 4:03pm
Sounds like pretty classic voltage drop symptoms. If you beef up your grounds, and also your battery feed to the input side of your main ignition breaker, a lot of that will go away.

Then, the more you can do the clean/reinforce or replace your other dash wiring, the better.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

The black wire is the feed to the ignition breakers LED indicator, it doesn't come off the breaker like all the other ones do.

That's a good point, I noticed the led for my ignition push button breaker only lights, when the key is also on.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:19am
The LED above my ignition breaker only has 1 black wire attached. All other LEDs have 2 black wires. I assume the ignition breaker LED is where the loose black wire disconected from. There is no way to reconnect the wire into that led. Should I wrap it up out of the way and forget it?
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:45am
I have a ground strip with 6 open connectors. Would it be helpful to run 6 ground wires from the open connectors to the ground side of each gage? I would have to get (6) 2 way spade connector and make up the pig tails. Or would it be a waste of time.

FYI I masked off the two panels, wet sanded the dash pod and sprayed with base coat /clear coat using low sheen clear. I am thrilled with how it turned out.....if you could have seen it before the restore it was ugly:)
Thanks.......Tom
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:17am
I would use connectors with the shrink wrap built in. Although that is a much better situation than the way it was wired at the factory, the connections are the same, I try to improve upon those types of things when I can.

As far a doubling up, you could step up one size in connector and put 2 wires in, or stack 2 terminals on 1 screw. Whichever you prefer, I can think of reasons for either.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 8:44am

The LED above my ignition breaker only has 1 black wire attached. All other LEDs have 2 black wires. I assume the ignition breaker LED is where the loose black wire disconected from. There is no way to reconnect the wire into that led. Should I wrap it up out of the way and forget it?

It depends on how crazy you want to get with it
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/panelindicatorlight.aspx
I'm guessing the wire broke off at the head of the LED, but the whole LED is replaceable for under $7
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 1:23am
I ran the 6 ground wires to the ground post on each gage. We will see if it has an impact on the gages when nav lights are on.
Thanks.......Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic