Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

88 BFN not cooling

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 88 BFN not cooling
    Posted: February-06-2013 at 12:52am
We started our rebuilt motor today and the water was not circulation through the system. I disconnected the hose that connects to the hull pick up and pushed the water hose about 1 foot into hose and wraped it tight with a towel. Turned on the water and the strainer filled up but never circuleted through the engine and out the exhaust. Next I used a "fake-a-lake" and pressed it aginst the bottom of the hull...tight. With hose turned on high....still no circulation. I removed the RWP and looked at the impeller and it was dry inside the housing. Here are some possible issues. Thanks for your feedback.

1. Could I have installed the used impeller backwards? (I have a new one ordered but hoped I could get by with this one for the engine start up)
2. Blockage in a hose. (Do not think it is blocked but need to check it)
3. I could have installed the Trans cooler upside down. (Do not know if this only flows one direction)
Oh FYI the engine sounded great for about 1 - 2 minutes:) Then I shut everything off.
Thanks.......Tom
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:04am
You could have installed the pump wrong,it can go on 2 ways Tom.If you remember how you had it on turn it 180. Since I do not have the same type of cooling system I don't know for sure but I think on a reverse engine the screw that holds the cam in the pump has to face out,others will know for sure.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:06am
Tom. RWP look like they will work the opposite way they are supposed to. You probably have it installed in the incorrect orientation (happens commonly). That pump on a reverse rotation engine should have the pump inlet and outlet tubes oriented away from the block instead of towards the block. It takes the water in and runs it around the long side of the housing to squeez it out and up the outlet.

Pickin up what I'm putting down? They work for RH engine and LH engines.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:06am
Either the hose is blocked or you installed the pump backwards (you wouldn't be the 1st).

Oil cooler backwards will affect tranny cooling only.

Impeller vanes will right themselves.

Did water flow thru to the pump from garden hose? If so, it isn't a blocked hose.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:08am
No water ever made it to the RWP. It was dry as a bone.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:08am
No water ever made it to the RWP. It was dry as a bone.
Is there a way to tell if I have the trans cooler backwards?
Thanks.......Tom
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:09am
The impeller will flip itself, you can't put it in backwards.

Did you put the inlet hose on the outlet side of the impeller pump? I think that's most likely your problem.

Also, hopefully the housing o-ring is stuck on the other half not in the picture.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:10am
You can't install the pump backwards on a 454. You can however easily put the hoses on opposite since they both come off the bottom.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:16am
Ahhhhhh I forgot they take a different pump Dooyyyyy. 17 impeller instead of the 15.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:27am
Kevin I think you are right! Before the teardown I took detailed pics of everything, except those 2 hoses and I had to guess which way to put them back on. Excellent feedback guys...Thx I am stoked about how well the 454 ran:) Just need to shore up a couple of loose ends.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:34am
Some pics of my finished 454 engine.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:37am
What about that Trans cooler? Is there a way I can check to see if it is backwards? I need to fix it before I start the engine again.
Thanks.......Tom
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 8:44am
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

What about that Trans cooler? Is there a way I can check to see if it is backwards? I need to fix it before I start the engine again.

There isn't a water flow direction on the trans cooler. Take a look inside if you get a chance. The only hook up concern is to flow the water and oil opposite. This keeps the delta T high and you get the best efficiency out of the tube and shell heat exchanger.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 11:02am
If the trans cooler is mounted vertically make the drain plug point down.

That thing is going to be the bell of the ball at GL this year! I like the contrast of the black pcm decals over the orange engine. It sort of looks like there is a hi po 396 option in the boat in the lats 60's haha.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 11:24am
That does look sweet
Brian
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:55pm
Thanks Guys. Good point Pete on the Trans cooler flow being opposite directions (I learn something every day about this boat). I forgot about the drain plug....that is a fool proof way to assure the cooler is mounted correctly. And I did mount the drain at the bottom :)

For the engine paint I am a big Chevy muscle car fan and I like the Chevy orange. Yes the 454-450 HP LS6, 396-375 HP L78 and L89 my opinion are the peak of Chevrolet muscle. Very cool…
Thanks.......Tom
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 5:08pm
So thinking about the engine rotation and the way the impeller blades trail, I think the outside (starboard) hose is the pump outlet and should go up to the thermostat housing. The inside (port) hose is the lake feed.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 5:18pm
There was a good thread a long time ago about RWP operation/orientation. 79 was involved in it. It was one of those threads where he "deliberately wrote a bunch of wrong stuff just to make the rest of us think about what the right answer is" I tried searching F***Y**, D*****-bag, d**kh**d but still coulnd't find it.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I like the contrast of the black pcm decals over the orange engine. It sort of looks like there is a hi po 396 option in the boat in the lats 60's haha.

So Tom-- the PCM Decals went on pretty well.... Keep me informed of how they hold up! More Pics and feedback on the ' other ' decals and some dash pics also
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 5:41pm
Larry, if you spelled any of those words correctly, search will turn up nothing, lol

Tom, looks good anyways
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 5:56pm
Hose closest to the engine centerline comes from the lake, one on the outboard side, goes to the thermostat housing. Had to look at my 87 BFn for someone previoously and thats the way mine is set up.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Hose closest to the engine centerline comes from the lake, one on the outboard side, goes to the thermostat housing. Had to look at my 87 BFn for someone previoously and thats the way mine is set up.

Mine agrees. The outboard fitting goes to the thermostat.

And we have a 2nd pumpkin!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 1:02am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I like the contrast of the black pcm decals over the orange engine. It sort of looks like there is a hi po 396 option in the boat in the lats 60's haha.

So Tom-- the PCM Decals went on pretty well.... Keep me informed of how they hold up! More Pics and feedback on the ' other ' decals and some dash pics also

Thanks for the decals Marty. They look great on the valve covers. Yes the glue seemed weak. Well see how they hold up.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 12:32pm
Fixed my boat cooling problem last night. The lake pick up hose and thermostat hose were reversed. We had to prime the system by putting the hose directly into the trans cooler and let the water flow through. Then we assembled the strainer and used the 'fake-a lake" FYI trans cooler was installed correctly. Motor runs great.....

Thanks to all for helping trouble shoot the problem. Ryan aka SN206 was there to hold the flashlight:) Just kidding Ryan....you were a big help....Thanks
Thanks.......Tom
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 12:40pm
All you gotta do is put the beer inside the boat then you don't need a helper.
87 BAREFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87 BAREFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 8:17pm
Nice looking 454, i like the chevy orange, makes for a good contrast. Your making me jelouse, one of these days my 87 is going to get the same treatment.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 12:24am
Thanks Mike
Just takes a little money and alot of time:) Good Luck
Thanks.......Tom
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 1:05am
If that sticker doesn't work try using it as a mask, I like the look. I'm going to do the same thing with my PCM valve covers but mine have that cast in so I'm going to hand paint it black.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic