NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trottle Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rbbordner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbbordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trottle Repair
    Posted: February-10-2013 at 10:36pm
Last summer the forum helped point me in the right direction to fix the problem I was having with my trottle arm. It does not lock into neutral any more (you might remember my story about my 3 year old slaming it in reverse with me on the dock).

I printed the step-by-step instructions for the MV-1 repair and followed them through removing the MV-1 from the boat before witnerizing and leaving the boat for the winter.

Removing the entire control wasn't extremely easy and now I am wondering if it was necessary at all. I have taken the arm off the control and think I just need to put a new spring in (and maybe "Top" piece) to solve my problem.

I am wondering if you guys think that will solve the problem? And even if it does should I still go through the teardown, clean and assemble since i have the control off already?

Thanks for the help. I could also use a couple tips to replace the spring on the arm (isn't as easy as it looked or i maybe i just don't know the secret).

rb
RB
1993 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:01pm
Since this is an important safety item (situation you pointed out), replacement with a new part is well worth the $40:

lever
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 1:02am
RB -

Safety is a primary concern - but I would guess that 100% of the safety of that arm would be restored by replacing that spring.

I used this thread MV-1 tear down & rebuild as a guide to rebuild my MV-2. They are essentially the same. You'll see some photos and comments on my rebuild there.

I also did not have the lock-out feature working on my throttle, and the piece labeled "top" on my throttle was very, very worn - much more so than yours. I replaced the spring with one I got at an Ace Hardware and the lockout works perfectly now. If I were you, I'd replace that spring and see how the lock-out works. I bet it fixes it back to good as new.

You should be able to see how the throttle arm comes apart in that thread. Take the top off and from there it seemed pretty obvious to me, but let us know if you need more guidance.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Since this is an important safety item (situation you pointed out), replacement with a new part is well worth the $40:

lever

Chris, is that a trusted source? If so, I think I might grab one for myself as well. I thought these were no longer available.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 3:35pm
I just called them and they don't have one. They say the part is back ordered.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 4:55pm
I can't speak to the source - Just googled the part # & that was the only hit.

They are gettig rare, maybe it would be an item for the CCF store.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rbbordner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbbordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 5:09pm
After falling asleep imaging the worst case scenarios for a trottle arm that doesn't lock in neutral with a 3 and 2 year old on board, I think it would be a good item for the CCF store-especially if it could come with a nice custom or vintage knob on top.
I'm off to Ace to put a spring in and see if that creates a solid locking position or if i need to go new.

rb
RB
1993 Ski Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 6:28pm
RB - Worst case Chelan is just a drive over Stevens Pass from Lake Stevens. We could have a Northwest meet-up and throttle repair workshop.
rbbordner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbbordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:15am
Hey who misspelled throttle on this forum thread name? oops.

Found the .60 cent spring at ACE. I had to cut it in half as it was too long, but the diameter was right.
It is locked, loaded and ready for reinstall in the boat. It use to easily slide out of neutral, now I can't force it out of neutral without releasing it.

RB
1993 Ski Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:54am
RB - WOO HOO! Way to go. Glad that it is working again.

Still think we should have a Northwest meet-up sometime. Maybe over in Chelan?   
rbbordner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbbordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:29pm
NW Meet-up sounds great. I may be bias, but Lake Chelan is the best (and the Columbia is near by for good pull)
RB
1993 Ski Nautique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by rbbordner rbbordner wrote:

Hey who misspelled throttle on this forum thread name? oops.

Only about 50 times!!!
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic