Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

overheating

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SRZCC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRZCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overheating
    Posted: February-23-2013 at 8:47pm
We owne a '91 Ski Nautique, 24 hp PCM Ford 351 with 1:23 PCM transmission. It starts, warms up and operates correctly--except that after pulling a skier, or otherwise coming off plane, the temperature spikes from approx. 160 to 200. This is "cured" by reving the motor until the temp. drops.

We have owned the boat since new. It now has many new parts (ie, pumps, hoses, sea strainer, trans. cooler, exhaust manifolds and risers.) We think we have elimated any air leaks. The sea water pump works correctly (15"/5 gallon test okay). The 143 thermostat has been changed and works correctly.

Is our muffler the problem? How can that be tested?

Are we okay trying to flush the motor with Limeaway or a similar produce to reduce rust and debris? (We do not have a history of lost impeller parts.)

Any suggestions are appreciated.   Thanks very much.
SN Owner
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 9:48pm
Rick,
I feel the spike in temp you are seeing is normal. They will do that after a hard run. To be sure, have you used an IR thermometer to check the actual temp? Have you done a Ohm test on the sender and the sender wire to the gauge? Cleaned up the terminals on the sender connections? A high resistance will cause a high reading. The IR test will confirm so do it first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SRZCC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRZCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:56am
Thanks. The boat is in the shop now, and I believe my mechanic has done various IR tests. He states that although the exhaust manifolds are normal temp (120?) the engine itself ( valve covers, block and oil filter) are hot---the engine just isn't dissipating the heat. I'll have him try the Ohm test you noted. Thanks
SN Owner
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 2:01am
were all those new parts used to try to fix the problem?

or did the problem start after all the new parts went on?
This is the life
SRZCC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRZCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 2:08am
Thanks for your comments. The boat is in the shop. I think various IR tests have been done. I'll have my mechanic try the Ohm test on the sender. He says the motor isn't dissipating heat well, and the motor (block, valve covers and oil filter) are hot, although the exhaust manifolds are "normal" at about 120. The temp. spike is quite dramatic and it goes up 30 degrees or more, so this is in excess of the normal swing expected when the boat comes to rest. Thank you for your comment.
SN Owner
SRZCC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRZCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 2:20am
The problem existed before new parts were tried--and in most cases the new parts replaced something that was 20 years old (most hoses, circulation pump, strainer, trans. cooler, manifolds and risers). Most of this was pretty borderline and would need to be switched out in any case. But, good point---no one wants to add new parts that create new issues.   Thank you
SN Owner
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 2:25am
I'm also starting to agree with Pete that you may not have a problem.
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:48pm
The boat should not hit 200, even after returning to idle after a hard run. The PCM ford cooling system doesn't see large swings like that. Prior to replacing my hoses, I would see 180 after a hard run (normally ran at 160). Now it runs at 155 and never sees north of 170. You've got an air leak somewhere... Though I would also check your impeller since that's a maintenance item.
SRZCC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRZCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 3:55pm
Thanks. Actually, we did have an air leak (leaks) but now think that issue has been eliminated with new hoses and other changes. No air bubbles appear in a clear hose (running from impellor pump to thermostat). We are running out of the "easy fix" options. Thanks again for your input.
SN Owner
Aengenend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aengenend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 6:19pm
For what it's worth: I had the Same issue on my 93 SN when I replaced my faulty thermostat for an automotive one.
Replaced that one whith an OEM PCM thermostat and never had an issue with my temp anymore..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic