Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering cable in 1986 SN 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pepatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering cable in 1986 SN 2001
    Posted: April-02-2013 at 2:17pm
I just purchased a cable (yes..the right one from Nautique Parts) for a 86 SN 2001. I have looked through many steering cable threads and there does not seem to be a lot of good post on replacing it. Well..some good and some not so good.

1. I dont think it is terribly difficult other than tight spaces, but does any one have any good tips?
2. Does anyone have pics of the replacement?
3. Any other tips would be helpful.

Thanks

Philip
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:53pm
Tie a rope onto 1 end before you pull it thru. I used tape to make a smooth transition so it wouldn't snag coming through the conduit.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
pepatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 5:28pm
One new steering cable installed. What a huge difference. I think I could probably do it in half the time now. It took me about 4 hours with most of that trying to get the old cable out. Now time to take it on the lake and test it out.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by pepatrick pepatrick wrote:

One new steering cable installed. What a huge difference. I think I could probably do it in half the time now. It took me about 4 hours with most of that trying to get the old cable out. Now time to take it on the lake and test it out.

Phil,
I just finished changing the steering cable on my 89 SN, but unfortunately I live in Michigan and won't be going to the lake for a little while. Let me know how alignment of your steering wheel works out. I installed the cable to the helm, set the wheel straight in the middle of lock to lock, set the rudder straight, hooked up the cable to the rudder and the last step was to tighten down the cable tube in it's bracket. I have been reading up on checking steering wheel alignment when the boat is going about 35 mph, stopping the boat and removing and adjusting the wheel on the helm to line it up to go straight when the boat is going straight. Just curious how yours turns out.
Thanks, Wes
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
pepatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 9:49pm
Im gonna have to say I either got lucky...or well..just lucky. After mounting the cable to everything but the rudder, I counted turns stop to stop. I got the wheel and rudder center. Made sure everything lined up. To make it easier to get to the linkage I turned the rudder and wheel to full right..attached the linkage and it was perfect. I centered the wheel and the rudder was centered. For the final test I brought it up to the lake and ran it for about 2 hours and it tracked perfectly with the wheel centered. I also burned half a tank of gas but it needed the run time. Im happy happy happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic