NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

paint?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dustyb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: paint?
    Posted: April-22-2013 at 8:23pm
whats a good type of paint to use on a boat? a buddy of mine used basecoat clear coat on his and its held up nice. i dont have much experience painting basecoat but i have painted a few things with it. i usually paint with enamel paints. ive painted numerous cars and turcks with enamel. i didnt know if enamel would hold up on a boat or not.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 9:35pm
what boat are we painting ? you talking bottom paint? graphics paint?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dustyb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 9:50pm
its a ski nautique. im gonna repaint the whole boat
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 10:21pm
Why?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 10:38pm
Ohhhh Boy here we go.

Could somebody please pass the popcorn, and I better top off my beer for this one.
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 11:25pm
You may want to post some pictures of your boat may just need to wet sand and buff. Gelcoat is pretty tuff.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Ohhhh Boy here we go.

Could somebody please pass the popcorn, and I better top off my beer for this one.

I second this!!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 11:49pm
Where's Pete???
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
dustyb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 11:51pm
well someone has already painted it in the past and its chipping and looks like crap. thats why im repainting it.
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 12:10am
They are being a little rough on you but if you repaint it is going to crack in the heat of S.C.. It is a huge job but you may want to re gelcoat it not a summer time job. alot of sanding and buffing
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 7:29am
Originally posted by cphase cphase wrote:

Where's Pete???

I'm here but just late to the game!! I too question painting. Take it down to the original gel and regel it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 10:41am
Hey Dusty can u post a picture of your boat ? do you think the po painted to cover up some defects such as some blisters or cracks ? what year is this boat ?
       Once one starts painting it will eventually need repainting. there are a couple ways to go, you could sand out the chiping and repaint, or you could do a paint strip down to the original gelcoat, at this point if there were cracks, blisters etc then they would have to be addressed accordingly. I personally would recommend the paint strip method but it is a lot of work no doubt, but once you get that gelcoat shine back you can't beat it.     
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 2:09pm
I know a lot of people are against painting but I painted my boat with awlgrip and I have been really happy with it. I have a fish Nautique and fish it really hard. Clean up is a breeze a rinse and light scrub takes all blood off. It's 2 years old now and looks like day I did it even in south Florida sun. Best part is no waxing and I get compliments every time I go out. I primed my boat with 545 and used the regular awlgrip. I know touching this paint up canbe pretty tough though.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 12:36am
So much hate on paint...

I'm pretty good at going against mainstream opinions and starting arguments so here goes again. haha

I painted my boat using single stage acrylic enamel. It's held up fine for the last 3 years, still shines, and I haven't done any buffing, polishing, wet sanding, or any of the other typical gel coat requirements. I might wash it a few times during the summer but that's it. The last picture is after 3 years of sitting uncovered on a lake in Georgia that doesn't see any shade. Notice the reflection on the bottom deck still (sorry it's a cell phone pic though). Basecoat/clearcoat will really shine and look beautiful but even single stage enamels will shine brighter and hold that shine longer than any gel coat.

Original gel coat:

Freshly painted:

A couple weeks ago:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic