Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb size/model in 91 barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb size/model in 91 barefoot
    Posted: April-23-2013 at 4:44pm
I just need to know what size carb came stock on that 454.
Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 4:50pm
650cfm Holley Marine 4160, I believe.
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 5:01pm
RA052007 list price $1049.95! Ouch!!! I have one on my 502 800cfm Marine!
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 5:46pm
So where might I find a remanufactured one? I just got a 91 excel with the big block and the original carb is in sad shape.... Probably going to need a fuel pump and related items as well. :/
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 3:37pm
Why not run a standard Holley? I use an 800 CFM 4150 double pumper on my 454. Probably would have been better with a 750, but the 800 was cheaper at the time and don't know what engine work I may do eventually. Well under $1000 even after adding electric choke and fuel lines.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/holley-model-4150-marine-carburetors
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 3:50pm
I assume that when you say "standard Holley" youre still referring to a marine carb, and not an automotive one, which would be unsafe.

Still, I would not recommend over-carbing a stock engine- that is a recipe for poor performance or economy (or both). It does not appear that Holley makes the 650cfm marine 4160 any longer, so rebuilding a used one or finding a remanufactured one somewhere would be the 2 options if you wanted to to stay original. My guess is someone here has a used one that they'd sell, I'd put out a feeler in the "parts wanted" section of the forums.
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 4:10pm
Of course, which is why I provided the link to Holley marine 4150 carbs on Summit. Choices are 600 CFM and 750 CFM. I would run a 750 CFM if no plans to spin the engine at a higher RPM. 600 (and evne 650) would be a bit small for a 454 and lack top end power, but likely wouldn't be a big deal unless you're sustaining max RPM. Unless you're running flat out your fuel consumption will be comparable between a 650 and 750. A 750 is not so big as to result in a significant loss of throttle response on a 454 when compared to a 650.

I would not recommend a 4160 as the boat was originally equipped with. I do not care for the lack of a secondary metering block or lack of externally adjustable floats on most.

What is wrong with your factory carb that you don't believe it can be rebuilt? Typically it will be worn out bores in the base plate. You can buy a new base plate for around $100 and a rebuild kit for $50 if that is the issue. Personally I never put any money into 4160s as I feel it would be better spent on upgrading to a 4150, but that is an option to repair your existing carb and get it going for a bit less money than a new carb. The rest of the carb should be serviceable as there's really nothing else to wear out that isn't replaced with a typical rebuild kit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by cadunkle cadunkle wrote:

Of course, which is why I provided the link to Holley marine 4150 carbs on Summit. Choices are 600 CFM and 750 CFM. I would run a 750 CFM if no plans to spin the engine at a higher RPM. 600 (and evne 650) would be a bit small for a 454 and lack top end power, but likely wouldn't be a big deal unless you're sustaining max RPM. Unless you're running flat out your fuel consumption will be comparable between a 650 and 750. A 750 is not so big as to result in a significant loss of throttle response on a 454 when compared to a 650.

I am curious if the above info is based on practical experience with marine 454's, or if its automotive (or paper) based.

I do not believe PCM (or any of the other marinizers) would have spec'd a carb that significantly limited an engine's performance in stock form. The 650 works just fine on 330hp 454's. Since they generally only spin to 4400 or so, carb calculators indicate that a 600cfm might be just fine, though Im hesitant to suggest that not having gone that route before. I do know that 750cfm is well beyond what a stock 454 would require.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 4:33pm
Put a 600 on my 86 bfn 454 stock, worked great, 48-49 mph
Brian
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 11:34pm
Thanks for the input! The existing one is so corroded and it actually broke off a mounting tab (that bolts to the intake) . I think that the boat sat with the engine cover closed and some water in the bilge. It just doesn't look like salt corrosion in other places.... Believe me I've seen salt corrosion.
I will put a quick ad, but there is a place in St. Pete that will send me a warrantied reman 4160 jetted/flowed and tuned for my application, for 245.00, and they said they would take a core in any shape. Fingers crossed. If not it's another $80.
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I am curious if the above info is based on practical experience with marine 454's, or if its automotive (or paper) based.

I do not believe PCM (or any of the other marinizers) would have spec'd a carb that significantly limited an engine's performance in stock form. The 650 works just fine on 330hp 454's. Since they generally only spin to 4400 or so, carb calculators indicate that a 600cfm might be just fine, though Im hesitant to suggest that not having gone that route before. I do know that 750cfm is well beyond what a stock 454 would require.

This is based on paper research, engine dyno programs, automotive experience both in cars and truck/towing applications, as well as experience with my own marine 454.

A 650 is marginal for any big block, but typically sufficient for a mild low RPM engine. My 454 spins to 4800-4900 RPM with the 800 CFM Holley on it, with a 600 CFM Holley it turns less, though I forget exactly how much. I did not spend significant time tuning the 600, I simply ballparked it based on my experience and it ran fine but lacked the top end as well as acceleration with the 800 on it. I did not measure fuel consumption with the 600 but it should be comparable to the 800 if both are jetted properly

I have also under carbed a 460 built for a broad flat torque curve for towing and it was a huge difference in power and throttle response at all RPM going from a 600 CFM 4160 to a 750 CFM 4150. Predominantly highway fuel consumption on the tow pig stayed about the same when making this change.

Interestingly enough my tow pig's 460 gets about the same fuel consumption towing at 65-70 MPH as my boat's 454 does lightly weighted at 22-23 MPH, 6-7 GPH.

Regardless, a 4150 is superior to a 4160 as it can be more easily tuned properly for the engine and boat without messing with metering plates and such.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic