Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel coat ghosting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel coat ghosting
    Posted: April-24-2013 at 11:48pm
Hey guys,

I have a 1982 ski Tique that has had the original graphics removed sometime in the past. The gel is in relatively good condition however if you look closely there is some ghosting from the original graphics. I know there have been some posts about this in the past but what is the least painless option for removing this?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:01am
I know you guys like pictures so here is what we are working with...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:03am
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:09am
I think the best way to eliminate the ghosting contrast is to put the graphics back on.   I have heard that even wet sanding doesn't hide the color shift.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:14am
Is there a source for ordering vinyl graphics for this old of a correct craft or do most people paint them on?
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:27am
I am ordering graphics from Zachary at N3 boat works for a 89 SN. Bones.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:29am
I mean Zach not Zachary damn spellcheck.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:30am
The early '80s & older were painted on. However, some guys here have a CAD file of the mask that can be used to generate correct font size.

Stay tuned.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:44am
Wetsanding works, it's just a pain because you have to start lite and polish then look to see if it worked. If it didn't you do it again starting with coarser paper and you keep repeating the process until it works.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 3:26am
I've got a 42 inch screen and I can't see any ghosting in your pics. No one will notice. Go wakeboarding.
This is the life
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 3:33am
Stencil is there, just paint over the ghosting and it's back to original kool!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 7:23am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Wetsanding works,

I question this. I had to regel the transom on my Tique due to ghosting from the PO's naming the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Wetsanding works,

I question this. I had to regel the transom on my Tique due to ghosting from the PO's naming the boat.

Could paint be the difference?   I had no issues with stickers that were 18 years old just took 3 or 4 attempts to get it done.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 12:19pm
Sometimes the color fade goes all the way through the thickness of the gel. In those cases, you'll never wetsand through the ghosting. Some colors fade easier than others, and of course, the amount of time the gel has been exposed to the sun is also a factor.

I do not believe any stencils exist for an early 80's Ski Tique. The only ones I am aware of are the 80-81 Ski Nautique graphics that Alan made. Getting the mask made for the Ski Tique lettering would be the biggest challenge, but the stripes can be masked off by hand if you can see where they belong. I would repaint them, as original.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 1:29pm
I have often wondered if you could take a picture of the side of a correct graphic/stripe ( this case a Ski Tique ) make it into a slide and then project it onto the boat hull adjusting the size by the lenses and distance from the hull......giving you the outline to mask off too.....this is how they used to do it in the sign shop when I was an apprentice....... in a time before PC’s or Cell.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic