Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'83 SN speaker location

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '83 SN speaker location
    Posted: April-28-2013 at 7:03pm
I am a new CC owner after purchasing my 1983 Ski Nautique back in February. I want to put an audio system in it before I take it out and having some trouble finding spots to mount the speaker enclosures to.

This shows where I'd like to mount it but I'm not sure what the hull construction is like in this spot. Is there a gap between the outside and interior glass? The last thing I want is to try and screw in some mounting brackets and have the screw come out the hull below the water line.

Any ideas?
Do I need a screw anchor?
What have people done in the past?

Love the forums!

gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 7:07pm
Don't do it!!!!!!!
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 7:10pm
How about making a bracket to fix the speaker enclosure to the back of the gunnel trim?
'82 Ski Tique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 8:08pm
One layer of glass on the hull side. Some have removeed the gunnel pad and use a recessed screw through the gunnel glass into the enclosure where it will be hidden by the pad. the alternative is to epoxy something direct to the hull to mount to, but that likely involves cutting out some carpet.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 8:54pm
Thanks! Yeah I just went to look at it again. I think my best bet is cutting out a rectangular section of carpet and mounting the back board directly to the glass. The only thing is if the vibrations would break the bond loose over time?

What's the best adhesive to use in that situation? Liquid nails? Actual fiberglass resin?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 9:56pm
Matt,
I sure encourage you to not cut the carpet. You never know when to boat will go to the next owner and he may not want the sound system. Make a bracket off existing holes/bolts under the gunnel.

Liquid nails?? You are not building a house here!! If you do cut the carpet, thickened resin (polyester or epoxy) would be a good choice. No, vibrations will not break the bond if done correctly. Remember, it a resin that holds you hull together!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 3:47pm
Check out this thread for some different ideas. Several nice setups.

SN2001 Speakers
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 3:48pm
Check out this thread for some different ideas. Several nice setups.

SN2001 Speakers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic