NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glass repair - battery box and cooler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass repair - battery box and cooler
    Posted: May-07-2013 at 1:56pm
In Tim's BFN thread he mentioned that he ended up having some leakage in the battery box.

I plan on reinforcing and re-glassing the battery box and cooler for my 84 SN in the next few days.

Tim or anyone else, I'm looking for suggestions and best-practices to make sure these boxes don't leak. I am doing a re-foam so they will be surrounded by foam again.

Also Tim, you strengthened your driver's seat base. Did you simply use more glass or did you put something inside it?

Thanks in advance.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 2:06pm
Tim modified the original drain port (not the source of his leak issue) and added an access port hole on the other side. The battery box drain let water in from the bilge as it was the low point of the hull while parked. Water from the battery box then leaked through the access port into the bow (just as low as the battery box). Very different scenario.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 2:35pm
Ah Ok. The thing I'm most concerned about is the fittings. I'm going to use PVC to avoid the compression of the tube which happened in the factory build.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 2:38pm
^^Thats mostly right^^

We sealed the drain on our batt box, as it is frequently a source of a leak from the battery box to the under floor area (non-bilge) in the stock configuration. We added a bulkhead o-ringed access port used on kayaks instead, which would allow us to drain the under-floor area if water somehow made its way in there (which it never should have). Our bilge and under-floor area are not connected- ie, they do not drain together.

What ended up happening is that the battery box collected water since the boat was usually stored nose low. It didnt drain to the bilge because we dont have one. Water then made its way through the o-ringed access port and under the floor. Just dont put an access port that doesnt seal at a low point that collects water and you should be fine.

We reinforced the drivers seat base with a lot of glass and coosa, both on the underside of the seat mount as well as the flange where it sits on the floor. Im sure theres a pic in our BFN thread.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 3:38pm
This may be of interest if you go with a drain......I used a duckbill valve on my battery box drain into the bilge.....kept it up off the hull by 1 inch or so.
I found the ones they use on the back of jet ski are a good size.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 10:14pm
Thanks Roger. That allows for water to drain out? Seems like you'd need some pressure to allow it to drain.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 7:02am
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Thanks Roger. That allows for water to drain out? Seems like you'd need some pressure to allow it to drain.

Jeff,The duckbills work by their design that funnels the water though them using the weight of water,gravity,and motion to drain along with the rubber used is a soft/light type.

My thinking of keeping up off the hull is to keep the exit side above the auto bilge intake height so it’s not submerged all the time and just needs to deal with splashing/sloshing in the bilge.      
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 11:10am
Here are a few pics of the battery box and cooler. Is this really how they did it in the factory?

They had a 3-inch inspection port and put a 4-inch PVC tube section around it to isolate it from the foam and connect it to the bulkhead... and they attempted to put screws into the edge of the PVC! One of the 6 screws made it...

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 11:29am
And here's the driver's seat base:

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 11:58am
CC's intention was not to screw into the larger PVC with those 6 screws. As you can see in your 3rd picture, those screws are for the threaded bulkhead fitting.

Im not sure what the purpose of that bulkhead fitting was, but its pretty effective at letting water drain from the battery box into the under-floor area. I reused that fitting as an access port on the BFN, and it did not provide a water tight seal. That would be disastrous in a foamed build- no idea why CC used it.

I would add a lot more reinforcement to the driver's seat pedestal. Both in the flange area where it bolts down to the floor and in the middle where the seat tracks install.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

CC's intention was not to screw into the larger PVC with those 6 screws. As you can see in your 3rd picture, those screws are for the threaded bulkhead fitting.

Duh... right. But they still did succeed in driving one screw through the side of the PVC, intentional or not.

Im not sure what the purpose of that bulkhead fitting was, but its pretty effective at letting water drain from the battery box into the under-floor area. I reused that fitting as an access port on the BFN, and it did not provide a water tight seal. That would be disastrous in a foamed build- no idea why CC used it.

Yes, very effective... can you think of a reason why you'd need/want this access port there? You can't see under the pylon with the engine mounted so maybe it is just to give access to that area? I used it to feel around to figure out where the F all the water was going.

I would add a lot more reinforcement to the driver's seat pedestal. Both in the flange area where it bolts down to the floor and in the middle where the seat tracks install.
Yup. I'm going to do that. Did you glass in your seat track bolts or is this pic from before drilling for them?

Thanks Tim.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 12:55pm
I havent dismantled an early 2001 with the double boxes, but I believe the boxes were installed forward of the bilge bulkhead. If that is in fact the case, Im not sure why you'd want access to the under floor area, particularly in a foamed boat. If it were to the bilge, then there may have been some value in accessing the forward area that you cant reach from the engine compartment.

I did not glass the seat track bolts in... that picture was taken prior to drilling. I actually layed more glass on it after that picture was taken (as well as gelcoated the top side).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 1:05pm
Yeah that big hole was open to the bilge, with only the PVC and whatever seal they used to "protect" the foam from the water.
You can see the hole for the PVC pipe in the foam from and bulkhead in the first picture posted on May 7 near the top of this thread.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 1:06pm
I think you are confused- there is no foam in the bilge.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 1:16pm
I'm not saying there is foam in the bilge... That 4" PVC is what went into the hole you see in the pic from May 7. The hole in the foam (a void to allow for the PVC) and the hole in the bulkhead (leading from the bottom of the pic which is the bow of the boat, to the bulkhead into the bilge.

Water that sloshed around in the battery box would leak through that 3" fitting, through the "seal" of that PVC pipe to the battery box, and into the foam below.

The inspection plate and surrounding 4-inch PVC wasn't to allow access to under the floor, it was to allow you to stick your hand from within the battery box into the engine compartment or to the pylon, for whatever reason.

I'm now trying to figure out the reason; if there is one I will keep that 4" hole, if not, I will glass and gel it over.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 1:53pm
Does your cradle have U-bolts or individual bolts snugging up the pylon?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 1:59pm
Now I see. The port hole provided access to the bilge, but the battery/cooler boxes themselves were not open to the bilge.

Having access to the bilge from the front could come in handy, but I would not keep it if there was a risk of allowing water under the floor by having it there. I would either:

a) Keep the geometry as-is and eliminate the access point

or

b) Bring the battery boxes aft a few inches, or move the bulkhead forward a few inches so that the rear face of the batt box enters the bilge directly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 2:04pm
Hollywood - Ahhh there you go. I don't remember but I see where you're going with that.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 2:59pm
When I redid the BFN, I left the "cooler" on the shelf.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 3:36pm
Actually, Hollywood... Looking at this pic I think that there are u-bolts inside the cradle for the pylon, and that access is facing the engine.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 4:01pm
On my 90, I believe they were single bolts pinching the cradle together at the pylon (not u-bolts). I think the change to u-bolts happened a few years after that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 5:42pm
OK I'll verify. I'm leaning towards keeping the original design with the 4" hole, but just doing extra work to ensure it is water tight.

I just purchased some gelcoat from Jamestown. I will use it for some of the hull cracks but also want to clean up the interior of the battery box.
I know the process of grinding out the cracks and filling them, but something like this with an inside radius might not be too easy to grind. Maybe a dremel can get in there. Do you *have* to grind the cracks or could it work by filling it in like putty?

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
aiaalisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aiaalisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 12:18pm
Glass Repair? yeah I guess you really need help from the experts then. yeah it's good to replace asap your broken glass or any kind of things that require repairs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic