NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing at least 35 btdc to run

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robbied View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing at least 35 btdc to run
    Posted: May-11-2013 at 10:00am
Ok, so we've had some boat trouble, which I believe has been rectified, a bad main ht lead from the coil to the distributor.

In the process of finding this I've had the carb off and cleaned it up. And renewed the power valve.

The problem now is to get the boat to start/run I have to advance the timing to at least 35 btdc.

I have verified that with no1 piston at top of stroke, that the marks line up with tdc on the wheel.

Any other ideas???
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 10:37am
Which engine do you have and which cyl is #1? What type of timing light are you using?
robbied View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 10:44am
Ford 351w #1 is front right looking from the prop. The timing gun goes on both battery terminals and then goes in line of the ht lead via a spring to #1 spark plug.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 11:07am
Specifically what type of timing light is it? Is it adjustable (dial/digital)?
robbied View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 6:45am
The timing gun is a gunsons tachostrobe dc, it has a roller wheel on it but I think that is just for determining the rpm, as that is what is listed on the scale. What rpm should I be setting the timing at?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 9:11am
Robert,
I was unable to find specifically what the adjustment is for on your timing light. I'd have to guess that it is an advance adjustment that you set for the desired RPM. What do you have it set at? Do you have the instructions for the light?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 9:12am
Timing should be 8-10 deg B TDC @ 600 RPM.

I suspect your timing light has bias built in.

No way would it start with timing that advanced.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 12:01pm
Make double sure you're connected to the correct spark plug wire as well.
robbied View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 9:41am
is it possible that i need to move the ht leads all one hole anti clockwise on the dis cap? would this account for the advance?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by robbied robbied wrote:

is it possible that i need to move the ht leads all one hole anti clockwise on the dis cap? would this account for the advance?

Well... not exactly.

Timing diagrams will show firing order with the numbers on the cap in a particular place relative to the engine.

But, the thing is, this can vary depending on how the distributor gear seated on to the camshaft gear. So, the cap posts stay in the same order relative to one another, but the whole business can be rotated a little left or right.

What's important is where the the rotor is pointing when the number one cylinder is at top dead center. This can change a little like I say. Then, whatever post the rotor is pointing two is post #1, then all the other posts get numbered in series down the line.

Long story short, make sure you find the #1 Spark Plug, and use that wire. Obviously, the post that same wire goes to is #1 as well. Just be aware that where that post winds up sitting could be a little different from what you think.

My basic theory is that could be using the wrong wire to determine your timing. Others have said it could be something with the way the settings on the timing light are set up.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 10:26am
I found a reference for the light that states the dial is for timing advance. It should have a dial face scale on it reading degrees > zero. Turn the dial full left or CC wise for zero (assuming it has no retard feature) and use the balancer pointer. If the dial also has a retard setting then you are screwed. use a different light.
Sorry i couldn't copy the link because it was a weird PDF.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic