Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Tec Ignition Conversion on 5.8 Pro Boss

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Tec Ignition Conversion on 5.8 Pro Boss
    Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:12pm
Hey there everyone,

On Saturday I water-tested the "new to me" sport on was met with the dreaded pro-tec problems:

-Sometimes engine limited to 2300 rpm's and has an extreme "shake" or   miss if you try and push above (turning the boat off and then back on solved this, so I think it was the "limp mode" thing)
-engine cuts out randomly at higher(+3k) rpm's

Strangely, these weren't present in TX when I picked up the boat, but after thrououghly cleaning the boat, I noticed the epoxy drip on the bellhousing and in the bilge area, so most certainly this is not the first time this boat has had this problem. Oh well I guess. Planned on needing it anyway.

With that in mind I went ahead and ordered the retrofit kit from my dealer (who helped me out on the price quite a bit, I might add) and am wondering if the kit comes from PCM with installation instructions, or if the instructions everyone has used were written by the folks at nautiqueparts or skidim?

If they are from skidim or the like, would anyone happen to have a copy? I am hoping to tackle this project this week. From what I read it is no big deal, but the parts guy said that his tech advised that "this may be a project that we should install cause it can be tricky" and it got me wondering. In any case, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kyle
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:35pm
These's a hand drawing around here somewhere that is better than the PCM instructions. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. I did have an issue with the oil filled coil sitting sideways, SKIDIM assured me it was OK and said thousands of boats are like that. I was right, it lasted about 50hrs and I replaced it with an epoxy fill MSD Blaster. It wouldn't be a bad idea to find a bracket to stand it up, and also have a few wire terminals on hand two you can shorten some of the wires that are extra long. Watch out for the leaky epoxy/glue, that stuff is nasty and very hard to get off.

I just took my harness apart to refit it to my new manifold where some things have changed positions.   You would have to have a very good idea about what you were doing to try to build it yourself, lots color changes going on under that tape.
Aengenend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aengenend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 6:37pm
I have a complete pro tec ignition system for sale, it was in full working condition when my 93 pro boss HO was converted to run on LPG last season. Complete means: ECU, coil packs, distributor, partial wire harness and even a spare coil pack.

I believe I still have the spark plug wires as well.

Only thing is it has to be shipped from the Netherlands.

Let me know if you're interested..

Frank.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 7:27pm
Hahaha. I think I found the diagram. Yes, it looks like it was drawn by a 12 year old, but yes, I think this is the one that Don is referring to above:

Read the whole thread... if you want here:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11544&PN=1&title=no-spark
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 7:36pm
Awesome, thanks guys. Any other insight? I am taking the approach: "jump in and don't look back" as I don't care to see the downtime caused by troubleshooting a fidgety protec ignition system even if I can piecemeal the parts together to get it "working" again. Wisconsin summers are already too short. Hopefully I can have the kit by the end of the week.

Kyle
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 7:48pm
That's it, I keep it in my phone so I can use it in the boat, that's the first thing I pull up when I have an issue or get ready to change something.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Hahaha. I think I found the diagram. Yes, it looks like it was drawn by a 12 year old, but yes, I think this is the one that Don is referring to above.

12 year old!!! That was my best artist’s rendition of the Mallory distributor yet.

Was this the only snag this is just the wiring for the Mallory distributor I thought there was other questions on the wiring.
If I recall Blink did the conversion and there was a thread on it.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 10:22pm
Don't remember who posted this, but I saved it for future use. Might help you out.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 10:31pm
Thats the one!!! Nice find.
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 2:14am
Pro tec conversion has been installed and works great! I got the kit on Tuesday, removed the old pro tec crap that night and had the new system hooked up on Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately PCM forgot to ship the 3-wire harness that plugs in to the distributor so I had to go to autozone and buy one for $20. It came in this afternoon, and once i hooked it up (also routing plug wires for a counter clockwise distributor rotation - thanks Tim B) the engine fired up on the first key turn. Timed it to 5 deg. BTC and took a wakeboard set!

Works great and the boat runs real strong. Seems to idle more smoothly too.

Thanks for everyones help! I tapped in to the knowledge of many prior posts to sell me on this project and so far, so good!

Now if I could only get my speedos to be more responsive and give an accurate speed indication. I think I'll give the lines a shot of compressed air this weekend (not hooked up, of course). Any other ideas there?

Kyle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic