Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oh no! Black smoke 1998 Air Tique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hershh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hershh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh no! Black smoke 1998 Air Tique
    Posted: May-26-2013 at 4:52am
Hi Everyone
Just went for a very short boat ride due to power issue. First couple runs yesterday seemed fine than all of a sudden very little power. Max RPM around 2400 rpm under power with prop turning. I hobbled back to the dock but quite a lot of black smoke coming from the exhhaust. Once at dock and in neutral I revved the engine in neutral and it ran up very smooth to 5000rpm. No engine hestiation. I went out again to try under power and once again max rpm 2500 and black smoke. I tried in reverse and seemed to rev ok but I only went to 3000rpm. Not sure if it is a carburater or transmision problem or something else. Anyone hear of similar issues. I ran it onshore with the hose coupled to get the salt out in neutral and also with prop turning. Once again revved up to 3000 rpm no problem and seemed as if engine was working fine. I didn't want to rev above that . I live in Dubai and there are no boat experts in this town. And I am a little weak in this subject as well. It is difficult to get parts here as have to order from US and takes time. So need a good diagnosis. Assistance please.
Regards

Kevin

351 PCM Carbuerated
Driven in Salt water
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 9:45am
My guess is carb related and too much fuel is going into the engine. When extremely rich, the boat will sound normal in neutral but will bog down severely under load. Does your boat happen to have a black ring on the hull where it was sitting in the water?

I'm guessing a carb rebuild is in order. Since you may have to order those parts, check your fuel/water separator for excess water. If there is anything that looks like bubbles, dump it out and reinstall. Check ALL of the hoses on your engine. Makes sure none of them have come off. If none of that produces anything, check the carb float levels. They should be parallel to the edge of the bowl. If not bend them so they are. A carb rebuild is pretty cheap so I would order one regardless unless something simple was found.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 10:39am
Well something had to change in order to go from running correctly to fouling in such a short time.

I would start by checking the timing advance & ignition system in general (especially if it has ProTec).

Then work on carb - something that could change quickly is a power valve rupture, or dirt holding the float open.

Again, look for what has changed.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic