NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W Rebuild Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W Rebuild Questions
    Posted: June-01-2013 at 10:12pm
I'm rebuilding my 351W and am in the stage of cleaning everything right now.

Fuel Pump: I have no reason to believe that there's a problem with my fuel pump, but while it's out, is there anything I should do with it? It's clean and I have the new gasket, but I see that there is an internal gasket as well.

Should I clean the inside of it? I assume there could be deposits or something. If I take it apart, where can I get that second gasket?

This is the pump and this is the gasket.

Rust Scale: There's a lot of rust scale in the thermostat housing and u-tube; how can I clean that out? Big ass wire brush and what chemical?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 12:11am
IMHO, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. This component is external & R&R time minimal. 1 person did have a pump problem putting gas-into-oil recently, but this is rare.

There is more likely a chance it could fail & send gas to overflow tube. I think this will give a rich condition, but engine will still run. If you can't live with that outcome, then a new one is really the best option.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:37am
Thanks, I edited my post and title to include more beyond the fuel pump.

In removing the fuel pump fittings, I damaged one of them. Is this a standard fitting I can find at a hardware or plumbing supply store?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:47am
Ace hardware, make sure you get a flair fitting and not a standard elbow. just bring the old one with you to match it up
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:49am
Jeff,
That's an inverted flare fitting. The male flare nut is on the tubing side just like brake line. Your chances are best getting one at an auto supply (not Autozone! ) You are haed piping the high pressure side of the pump correct?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 11:37am
Good to know it is an easy-to-find fitting. Yes, it is hard piped Pete.

Another question: when I paint items that will have hoses on them (such as the u-tube and the thermostat housing), should I leave the area that the hose will be on bare? That is, paint that area that the hose covers or not?

Thanks.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 12:31pm
I would not paint hose-overs - bad practice in my opinion.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic