Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop suggestions new 351w

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 9:27pm
Thank you . I will try that next Summer . Anyone know of a 543 for sale ?
oldscool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 11:05pm
Ok, after reading this thread I'm going out and pull my prop and see what's on there. I'm getting 43 mph WOT with gps speedo. New tachometer says 4600 rpm. I knew the newer nautiques were slower and the carbureted 5.8 doesn't help, but in the right water conditions I can get 50+ out of my 73 with 48-4900 on the tach and that's a carbureted 5.0 with 1-1 velvet drive. Seems to me I can get the speed to rpm a little closer with the right prop.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 12:39am
I agree you may see a few more mph with a different prop and a couple hundred more rpm.

The '73 is a flat bottom without the hook your newer boat has to plant the bow. They it higher speeds with less HP. Also lighter, narrower boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 7:44am
Originally posted by oldscool oldscool wrote:

Ok, after reading this thread I'm going out and pull my prop and see what's on there. I'm getting 43 mph WOT with gps speedo. New tachometer says 4600 rpm. I knew the newer nautiques were slower and the carbureted 5.8 doesn't help, but in the right water conditions I can get 50+ out of my 73 with 48-4900 on the tach and that's a carbureted 5.0 with 1-1 velvet drive. Seems to me I can get the speed to rpm a little closer with the right prop.

Those numbers sound a little optimistic on the 73... Not doubting your honesty but questioning their accuracy. Unless the engine has had some work done, 47-48mph and 4600rpm are the norm for that hull and power plant (and a stock 12x14 federal, or equivalent). A GPS and a known-accurate tach would tell the real story.

Whereas the 1600lb Skier will typically under turn with a stock sized prop (< 1:1 rpm vs speed) a modern hull will overturn by a significant margin due to its increased weight and larger wetted surface area. A 300rpm differential is actually doing really well (my 90 overturns by nearly 500rpm at wot with a stock sized prop). What doesn't seem quite right is the lower numbers- 4800-4900 and 45-46mph would be more typical out of that hull and powertrain (I'm assuming you have the typical gt40). Time for a tuneup maybe?
oldscool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 3:56pm
Tim, The new boat has a 13/16 oj legend. I read somewhere on here that the oj 4 blades sucked. I need a spare prop anyways for traveling, so what acme prop should I try? Also the skier has a worked motor and not sure of the hp.(rebuilt when I bought it ) but the right conditions means millpond glass and only me in the boat. With a little chop and a passenger it will porpoise its way down to 46-48. I trust the tach is very close and set my speedo at 36mph/3600rpm. I know this is close but not exact. I think the skier has a 12/13 oj legend 3 blade, but not sure, my spare is a Michigan same pitch. Now I have to go check LOL.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 4:25pm
Tom, I went back and re-read your diary and your post... and Im confused, ha. You said you have the carbed 5.8 and 275hp- are you sure? I was only aware of the 260hp (non-HO) and 290hp (HO) carbed 351w's that PCM was offering in the late 90's. Any chance that 275hp is actually a 305 (5.0L) Chevy?

2000 brochure

If its a Ford, take a look at the end of the heads and see how many bars are in the casting... should be either 2 or 3. GT40 (HO) heads have 3, the standard heads have 2.

I do not care for the 13x16 OJ. An Acme would wake it up quite a bit. If you have the non-HO 351w or the Chevy 305, a 12.5x15 Acme would be my choice (most likely a 470). If you have the HO 351w then I suspect you have a little bit of tuning up to do, and an Acme 422 (12.5x15.5) should work best.

In regards to speed, the smaller hulls usually run fastest with a little bit of weight in back that allows them to porpoise. The faster (stock) 16' boats seem to porpoise naturally at WOT without any extra weight in back, and Ive seen a few flirt with the 50mph mark. A slight chop will run faster than glass calm. That 12x13 OJ is a good prop- much better all around than the original Federal (though top speed will be similar). Setting the speedo using the tach is a good way to get you in the ballpark if the tach is accurate- though most from that era were marginal, in my experience. Either way, it could still be off by a few mph, which is pretty common. A GPS would tell the true story.
oldscool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 9:22pm
Thanks for the advise Tim. I will look into the 470 for next year. Definitely need to gps the skier next summer, you can drive.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 9:54pm
Sounds good to me!

Let me know if you confirm which engine your '00 has... You've got me curious. Would love to see pics of that skier as well!
oldscool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 10:26pm
Definitely a 5.8 does not say HO so must be 260hp. Was told 275 by the previous owner. Should have checked before posting.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2013 at 8:32am
Check the heads just in case- then you'll know for sure. Numbers look pretty good if it's a non-HO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic