Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - special tools for a PCM 40i 1:1 tranny rebuild?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

special tools for a PCM 40i 1:1 tranny rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
trayson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trayson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: special tools for a PCM 40i 1:1 tranny rebuild?
    Posted: July-07-2013 at 8:32pm
So, I pulled my tranny Friday. it had been slipping and losing about 1/4 of a quart of fluid in 4 hours of use. Friday I ended up sucking water into the tranny and milkshaked the fluid. so I am buying a seal kit and figure a rebuild makes sense as it is 530 hours anyway...I was able to find the service manual for the PCM40a, and it referenced some special pullers. does anyone know about these? are they needed? if so where to get and how much do they cost? Any tips and tricks are very welcome--I will have the help of a very experienced ford car service tech... but any insight into the boat tranny will be great.

Now you see it...

Now you don't:
1992 Supra Sunsport
trayson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trayson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 8:55pm
Here are the special tools referenced in the 40a service manual (yes, I know I have a 40i, but it's the closest I could find online).

1992 Supra Sunsport
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 10:23am
sounds to me like all you need is a new cooler. Seal kit? why? You didnt say the oil was going in the bilge.

Over thinking it?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
trayson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trayson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:57pm
Tranny fluid was goingin te bilge. pretty sure the leak was between the tranny abd bellhousing.
1992 Supra Sunsport
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:17pm
The only special tools you need are your wallet and the adress of Fantastic Finish Marine.
trayson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trayson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:55pm
^^^LOL. True, but my wallet's a bit light.
1992 Supra Sunsport
trayson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trayson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

sounds to me like all you need is a new cooler. Seal kit? why? You didnt say the oil was going in the bilge.

Over thinking it?

Yeah, the reason it got water in it on Friday and not on any of the other days is because on Friday I forgot to put the plug in it before backing it down the ramp. I realized but had filled the bilge with water. So that's why it sucked tranny fluid into the transmission. It had most definitely been leaking it out into the bilge. I'm pretty sure it was from the spot where the tranny meets the belhousing.
1992 Supra Sunsport
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 12:14am
^^ Oh, Ok
I gotcha now..
Carry on..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
trayson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trayson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

The only special tools you need are your wallet and the adress of Fantastic Finish Marine.

Ended up sending the tranny to Fantastic Finish. Shipping out today.

1992 Supra Sunsport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by trayson trayson wrote:

Now you don't:

Good move sending it out.
By the way what kind of mufflers are you running?
Where did you get them?
Do they work?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2013 at 12:32am
Trayson good choice, it will be done right.
This is the life
lex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 11:55am
Hello! I hope you're listening out there.

This tranny is the exact one I have and need to rebuild. It appears the manual is digital - where did you get it? Could you share?

Also, where did you send to rebuild? How much was it?

Thanks

Lex

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by lex lex wrote:

Hello! I hope you're listening out there.

This tranny is the exact one I have and need to rebuild. It appears the manual is digital - where did you get it? Could you share?

Also, where did you send to rebuild? How much was it?

Thanks

Lex

Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Give them a call for their address as well as a cost. The exact cost may not be available until the trans is opened up. You haven't mentioned what the problem is??

Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures and model of your CC??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 1:19pm
I have an 1989 ski Brendella with a PCM 40i PLD stupid me I put brake fluid in the tranny to clean it out as I had water in it in the fluid and heard some loud noises when running it. I took it to a shop and they said it needed a rebuild
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 1:26pm
Lex,
Be real careful about whom ever you take it to. We have heard of several real bad outcomes with trans rebuilds from so called "expert" shops. It's the reason I recommended FFM.

Did you find the source of the water? I suggest running a pressure check on the trans heat exchanger.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 2:26pm
how do you do a pressure check? thanks for the advice
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by lex lex wrote:

how do you do a pressure check? thanks for the advice

Since the oil line are a threaded connection, it's always easier to connect compressed ait to them. Plug the one end and connect regulated air to the other. 20 PSI is more than enough. Put it vertically in a bucket of water so all the air on the water side is removed and look for bubbles.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic