NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 Nautique starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
83jobeskis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 Nautique starting issue
    Posted: July-18-2013 at 2:39pm
My 1983 Ski Nautique this year is having problems starting unless I pump the throttle once before I turn it over.
It's not the end of the world. But it is annoying. Any suggestions?
I feel like its not getting enough fuel when I turn the key.
Is there a way to adjust this?

Thanks
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 3:04pm
Cold starts require pump, warm starts shouldn't. Which are we talking
Brian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 3:08pm
Both cold and warm starts.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 3:18pm
Cold starts that is normal I pump mine twice when cold to start it and the rest of the day requires none. Next time you shut it down warm, remove the flame arrestor and look down into the carb. If it is dripping fuel that is the cause of your trouble. May need a carb rebuild. How long since the last rebuild?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 4:53pm
I had it rebuilt a couple months ago.
I am wondering if they did a bad job. Or something is not adjusted right.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 2:07am
Today for the first hour on the lake the boat started without pumping the throttle. But then It would hardly turn over and when I would hit the gas to accelerate it would chug, chug, chug and finally go.

If I would open up the engine cover it would purr and have all the power in the world.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 9:35am
Is your exhaust leaking at all?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 9:49am
Did you adjust the idle fuel screws?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 12:58pm
The exhaust was leaking until I fixed it a couple days ago.

I have played with the idle screw and air/fuel screws but I didn't really know what I was doing.

By the end of the day it would only have a light chug before it would takeoff.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:01pm
If exhaust is getting under the engine cover, the motor might have been choking on it's own exhaust.

Does it still run noticeably better with the engine cover up?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:05pm
Yes it still runs way better with the engine cover up.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:33pm
Have you cleaned the flame arrestor?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:38pm
I was just thinking about doing that today. What would I clean it with? Carb cleaner?
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:45pm
Warm water and soap.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 12:58am
Today I cleaned the spark arrestor, replaced an exhaust hose, adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws and adjusted the idle down a bit.

It is currently not bogging down when I hit the throttle.

However, even when warm I have to pump the throttle forward once before it will start.

here is a picture of the blown exhaust tube:
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 10:23am
It's also possible that your choke adjustment is off . It's also possible that since your 30 your not used to driving something that's not fuel injected
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 11:49am
Hey Gary!!! I'm 26 and prefer carburetors ;). Each boat is different. What type of rpm are you at right now idle? You may need some more fuel from the idle circuits. Have to checked the timing recently to verify that it's in spec? When you adjust the idle screw on the forward throttle shaft you have to accompany that with idle mixture adjustment because it effects how the vacuum pulls fuel from the idle circuits. You need to verify no vacuum leaks as well because that can make all the difference on idle mixture and key starts. Check that the choke is opening all the way to the stop when it's fully heated up.

I had a girlfriend in college that thought she was hot *************** behind the wheel of an inboard. She had only driven fuel injected perfect pass equipped boats. Needless to say her bubble was bursted when trying to pull slalom with a carbureted boat with no speed control !! haha.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 12:41pm
I have driven several vehicles with carbs. I grew up in the country. But all of those you pumped the throttle when cold to get it to start but once it was warm you where good to go.

I will check the choke flap today.

I am going to borrow my father in laws timing light. It has a built in tach. So I can get an accurate read on the idle rpm. When I turn the motor off the gauge doesn't go all the way to zero. Normally lands at 200 so I have the idle set to 800. Which I imagine is actually 600.

I have driven boats with perfect pass and I do like it. But I feel I can do just as good of a job at holding a speed.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 11:10pm
I took the boat out on the lake today. It ran like a top the whole day. Started without pumping the throttle 90% of the time. Had zero chugging or hesitation issues. Pulled really strong. It was a great day!

Thanks for your help and suggestions!!!!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 11:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic